Solved

Dedicated Network for VMware

• 8 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Dear Commvault Community,

I have a question reg. Dedicated Backup for VMware.

in the Media Agent, I have one primary network interface with the IP and we created secondary one to be used for the VMware Backup, so Culd You tell how we can configure it ?

we tried to use: Dedicated Backup Network (commvault.com) but its not working.

any help?

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 9 July 2021, 08:10

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@damiank I’m not sure why the operating system is routing traffic over the wrong interface given it has an interface on the same network segment as the ESXi host. You can try ping the ESXi host and specify the interface to use to ensure its accessible from that network. Trying ping -S <source address.

in your case it should be ping -S 10.42.124.124 10.42.124.112

If that does not work there is definitely some sort of networking/routing issue If that does work then you probably want to use the route command to add a manual route to tell the operating system to access that specific IP address using a preferred network adapter.

Badge +1

Hi,

below are my IP addressing scheme for Commvault, vCenter and VMware hosts (I changed a little bit IP addresses due to sec reasons but subnets are correct)

VMware hosts:
esx001 - 10.42.124.111/24

esx002 - 10.42.124.112/24

vCenter IP address:
vc001 - 10.42.124.117/24

Commvault MediaAgent:
Primary/default network Interface - 
10.45.17.157/24

Secondary network Interface - 10.42.124.124/24

The problem is that, when the backup starts, all backup traffic from the VMware hosts are going through the Primary/default network Interface - 10.45.17.157/24 instead of Secondary (10.42.124.124/24)

any advice

Badge +1

Hi @Damian Andre ,

I will check it and come back to You.
I will gather all IP addressing info for  MediaAgent and VMware site and I will try to explain You what we are going to achieve.

till now, many thanks for the reply!

Damian

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Assuming you are using NBD backups, the only way to ‘force’ it to backup over a specific network is to ensure that the address of the ESXi host resolves to the dedicated network IP you are trying to use.

When the backup starts, Commvault will ask vCenter for the hostname of the ESXi server, and whatever that hostname is, ensure it resolves to the IP address on the dedicated network.

For example, if your backup network is 10.x.x.x, use host files to ensure your ESXi server resolves to a 10.x.x.x address. There is no way to force commvault to access an ESXi host over a specific network - DIPs only apply for commvault to commvault traffic, not commvault to VMware traffic

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@damiank , hope all is well!

You have the proper doc link for what you want.  If you set up a Data Interface Pair, you can define all communications for the client to the Media Agent to use the backup network IP address.

Can you confirm this is what you followed?  Make sure you overwrite the address with the IP address, otherwise name resolution will occur (and likely use the primary interface).

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7141.htm

If so, what is happening when operations between these servers occur?