Solved

DIPs and the UNIX pseudo cluster client ..

• 12 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi... 

I'll try to be short... 

Here's the setup:

- Two AIX clients in a DMZ zone.
- CS connects to the clients front end NIC.
- In between clients and MAs, a Backup Network is defined along with a OneWay FW. (set on the client group level) 
- Backups of each of the clients work as expected. CS can happily communicate with the clients on their front- end NIC and backup streams are running over the backup network as expected.

- Clients are added to a UNIX pseudo cluster client. 
- The UNIX pseudo cluster is a VIP address (along with a FQDN name) which is owned by the active node.

Issue:
Backups configured for the UNIX pseudo cluster client fail as the DIP configuration for the active node doesn't seem to be taken into consideration.. 
Is there any way around this behavior? We need the backup data streams to originate from the DIP address on what ever node is active. 

CVLT v11.20.60

Any ideas? 

Already got ticket 210930-186 open, but unfortunately not much progress here..  

Thank you for any idea you might have.. 

Kind regards
Rubeck

icon

Best answer by RubeckDK 12 October 2021, 14:38

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @RubeckDK 

I have briefly checked documentation as my first thought was to configure wildcard DIPs, based on these concepts:

Setting Up a Data Interface Pair Between Two Client Groups

However, when I review the notes on the page, I see there is an exclusion for cluster clients:

Note: Wildcard expressions and CIDR notation are not supported with cluster clients.

I will track the support ticket and explore other alternatives for cluster client DIP configuration.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +3

Hi @RubeckDK ,

The solution used to be to use a qoperation to set an option on the cluster client to force jobs initiated from that level to use the DIPs configured at the physical client level. However, I note that the documentation for this option has since been removed. I’ll check what the current solution for this configuration is with our Engineering team and update you via the ticket.

Best regards,

Tom

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hi @Stuart Painter and @Tom Sheppard 

Thanks a lot for your input on this…  I can’t believe that I’ve missed the “Note: Wildcard expressions and CIDR notation are not supported with cluster clients” part… I’m such a moron :-( 

We’ve got multiple MS SQL AGs set up which seem to work just fine for an unknown reason, then… weird…  Need to check out some logs to figure this one out.. 

If your Engineering team comes up with some magic this would be nothing less than incredible.. ! (I’m REALLY crossing my fingers here)  

/Kim

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

FYI:

Got a word back from Commvault:

Development hopes to have this feature implemented into FR29….

Thank you, @Tom Sheppard for helping me out with this one. :hugging:

/Kim

Badge +3

Hi @RubeckDK,

Glad to be of assistance and apologies we couldn’t get you a more seamless solution in the short-term.

Anything else you need on this (or anything else), just let us know :) 

Best regards,

Tom

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Update: 

/Rubeck

Userlevel 3
Badge +10