Solved

DNS Problem with Endpoint Backup

• 24 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

we implemented endpoint backup succesfully for our Laptops.
Everything works fine except of one thing:

When a computer name resolves into a wrong IP address due to old or wrong DNS entries, then commvault can’t reach the computer and it can’t be backed up. 

So far it makes sense to me.

However when we delete all DNS entries for that computer name and reset the local DNS cache from our Comserve, Commvault can reach the computer and it can be backed up.

Or in other Words, when our Comserve can’t resolve a computer name into a IP adress and then the client starts automaticly the backup job, the backup can successfully be made. Apperently the client sends his IP address to the Comserve. When i then check the readiness from the client it says “ready”, even without a DNS entry or name resolution.

Is there any kind of additional setting that we can set, that Commvault always ignores the (wrong) DNS entries and only takes the IP adress from the job?

Regards,

Kilian

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 24 March 2021, 10:55

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Kilian 

Thank you for the question.

I suggest the DNS resolution issue from the Commserve should be addressed as this would resolve this and potentially other issues in the environment.

If there are particular clients exhibiting this issue, you can check client properties and ensure the FQDN network hostname is accurate and resolvable and if not, update the properties of that client.

I am assuming network connectivity is being established due to network route or topology configuration, something along the lines of Setting Up a One-Way Direct Connection (Client to Server) Using a Predefined Network Topology

This involves the client establishing a connection from the client side, into the Commserve and Media Agents. The client provides the necessary details to open that connection and backups are performed successfully. Whilst that connection or tunnel remains open, Check Readiness will be successful.

Thanks,

Stuart