Solved

EOL Python 2.7.x detected on commserve, is this required by commserve?

• 22 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi all

As title, do we need Python 2.7.x on commserve?

I found nothing in book online mention that but it seems to comes along with commserve install bundle.  I.E. I was referring to this : https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=2801.htm

This is current triggering our security sensor as Python 2.7.x is EOL

BR,

Mario

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 3 March 2021, 15:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Mario

Thanks for the question, my understanding is Python is used internally on the Commserve, so we will need to retain a version of python. Let me check internally on update options and versions to bring your installation up to date and comply with your security policy.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi Mario

Please would you confirm what service/feature pack you are running on the Commserve?

Later service/feature packs - from SP11 onwards I believe - automatically install Python 3.6, but leave the previous version 2.7 installed in case of any potential dependencies.
Third Party Applications installed by Commvault Installer:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=121377.htm

Before you take any action I will confirm potential dependencies for Python 2.7, but once these are checked, it is likely this can be safely removed from the Commserve.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Thanks Stuart for looking into this. 

We’re running V11 SP20, please let me know what you can gather about Python 2.7.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mario NTT there shouldn’t be any dependencies on Python 2.7, so the can be uninstalled from the Commserve.

Historically, these 3rd party packages are left in place in case customers employ these packages in their environments and auto-removing as part of service pack updates could potentially disrupt these customer created operations.

Researching this, I’ve found Commvault code was ported from Python 2.7 to Python 3 from SP11, which was quite a while ago.

If you are not using Python 2.7, please go ahead and uninstall the package.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Thanks @Stuart Painter for sharing your research results, much appreciated!