Solved

Exclude databases by server plan

• 25 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Can i exclude certain databases (tempdb, model etc.) on a plan/policy/server group level.

The goal is to group servers which uses SAP Sybase database instances, and exclude databases which is not used.(tempdb, model etc.)
Otherwise I have to edit each subclient, and exclude those databases, on each server.

Hope you guys can help.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by MFasulo 2 November 2021, 19:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Excellent question, @AndreasBG .  There is no option to filter at a plan level, though I’d like to ask what your end goal is for this:

Are you concerned with space, or the backup time frame?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndreasBG , gentle follow up on this question.  Let me know if you have further questions about your goals!

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Can i exclude certain databases (tempdb, model etc.) on a plan/policy/server group level.

Backup & restore: system databases (SQL Server)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/backup-restore/back-up-and-restore-of-system-databases-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

I’m not a SQL DBA, but Microsoft recommends protecting the system databases (except TempDB).  As you move forward, I would make sure you’re not doing more harm than good by excluding the system databases in your backup plans.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +2

@Mike Struening  the goal was to only backup the databases which is needed in a restore scenarie. (so both time and space).
 Thank you @Scott Moseman for pointing that out, but in this case it’s not Microsoft SQL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndreasBG , I’ll check internally to see if there’s anything we can provide.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’m not even sure this is possible via java ui.   I dont have this agent setup, so its hard to tell how this can be accomplished.   

Lets start here:   Do we have more databases to exclude then there are to include?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AndreasBG , have you had a chance to review @MFasulo ‘s comment?