Solved

Found a multi-segment swap partition on virtual machine [vm_name]. Ensure that a new full backup has been run on this VM.

• 18 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
  • Commvault Certified Expert
  • 83 replies

Hi Guys,

The Customer is having a problem.

Some of VMs show the following error:

Found a multi-segment swap partition on virtual machine [vm_name]. Ensure that a new full backup has been run on this VM.

An error appears even if Full backup job is being run.

Backup ends with status “Completed’

As I can see there is an article referring to this error.

http://kb.commvault.com/VMW0030

However, the article refers to Service Pack 7, 8, or 9. The Customer is running FR20.

I’d like to know your opinion, guys.

Do you think that the Customer can ignore this error?

Do you think backups that ends with this error and have a status ‘Completed’ are completely fine and the Customer will be able to use them to restore VMs in the future?

Rgds,

Kamil

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 18 March 2021, 15:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Kamil,

Backups and restore of such VMs with that warning will not have any issues as it protecting complete data.

As customer is on FR20 will not run into this issue with existing subclients with full job already run and with fresh VMs it will do full backup. KB is from SP7 onwards it was build around that time.

They can safely add the registry key to suppress that warning message from http://kb.commvault.com/article/VMW0030

Automatically suppressing that warning is handled in FR22 with form 108052.

Regards

Gopinath

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Many thanks, Gopinath.

Rgds,

Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Kamil W,

As you might have guessed, this error is a warning that stemmed from an issue a few years ago in the SP9-ish timeframe, where multi-segment partitions on Linux caused inconsistencies on the backup. The issue was swiftly corrected, but the correction could only take effect on a new full backup. As many customers run incremental + synthetic full, there was a chance that a customer could run into this issue many years later as corrective action in the form of a traditional full backup may not have been taken. As such, this warning message was implemented to ensure that customers perform at least one traditional full backup on the VMs to ensure it was properly protected and continued to be going forward.

Unfortunately, the warning does not go away after a full backup - it persists. In feature release 22 and beyond, the message is suppressed and no longer displayed.

So, in summary, ensure you have had at least one traditional full backup since around SP9/SP10 - if so, you have no issue. If you had backups of these machines before that time in retention, there is a chance they could be impacted - you could use a live mount operation to test booting those old copies.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Andre, thanks for your reply too.

Rgds,

Kamil

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thank you very much, guys!

I’ll let you know how it goes ASAP :)

Rgds,

Kamil

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello Guys,

I just spoke to the Customer. Everything’s clear now.

Many thanks for your help and and quick replies.

I nned your help once again :) This is my first post. How can I close it? :)

Rgds,

Kami

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’re awesome for asking, @Kamil W !  You should be able to mark whichever reply helped you the most as the Best Answer (which you or someone already did)!

Since you asked a second question, I can split them out for you (and mark that as answered).  It’s much easier to track each question apart.