Hi, I've been reading about VSA V2 and VM centric operations.
Our environment has gone through many upgrades from v9 to v11.20 which we're running now. Subsequently our VM clients will be using indexing v1
How to we upgrade to VSA V2? I can't find any steps you actually do it.
Best answer by Dan White
If you plan to upgrade to V2 indexing for VMware, please ensure that collect file details are disabled and that backups are not going to tape. Once confirmed, please contact your account rep so that they can review your requirements with Support and Development:
To determine whether you should enable Indexing Version 2 for VM-centric operations, contact your account representative to review your requirements with Commvault Support and Development, to ensure that you can switch to VM-centric operations without having a negative impact on current operational processes. Commvault Support can also facilitate the upgrade process to ensure continued access to existing backups and a smooth transition to VM-centric operations.
Just to add to this, here are some additional questions you should have answered for your account rep before checking in with them. This will help determine whether a migration to V2 index would be beneficial for you!
1. Do you have any backup or auxiliary copy issues with your VMware, Amazon or Azure VSA backups today?
(i.e. backups not completing, aux copies not completing)
2. Do you utilize Synthetic Fulls today, and if so are they completing within your required nightly backup window?
3. Do you perform granular file/folder recoveries for your VMware, Amazon, or Azure VSA backups today?
4. When performing granular file/folder recovery do you opt to index during backup time (i.e. tape environments, collect metadata) - or do you utilize Live Browse?
5. Do you send any of your backups directly to tape or cloud archive storage libraries?
Additionally, here is a comparison of VSA features with V1 vs. V2.