Solved

How many streams are opened on a Media Agent ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi Guys,

I’ m looking how many streams are open instantly on a media agent? I have 20 MA, 7000+ servers and 17k+ daily job. 

Best Regards.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 August 2021, 19:14

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The amount of streams used during operations can be adjusted at the storage policy level.

Setting the Device Streams on a Storage Policy (commvault.com)

There is also a max streams setting overall on the media agent itself ‘Maximum number of parallel data transfer operations’

Streams Overview (commvault.com)

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

The amount of streams used during operations can be adjusted at the storage policy level.

Setting the Device Streams on a Storage Policy (commvault.com)

There is also a max streams setting overall on the media agent itself ‘Maximum number of parallel data transfer operations’

Streams Overview (commvault.com)

Hi Aplynx,

Thanks for the reply. Acctually I don’ t interest which Storage Policy are opened stream on a MA instantly. When I look to Media Agent tab or Job Controller or anywhere on the CommCell Console/Admin Console I want to see how many streams are loaded on a MA instantly. Is it possible to see somewhere ?

There are 20 MAs and more than 100 Storage Policies. 10-15 Storage Policies are connected to a MA. Can't we see that in one place instead of collecting it manually via Storage Policy?

Best Regards.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hi @0ber0n,

Media Agents don’t limit the number of streams exactly, rather the number of ‘parallel data transfer operations’. To build on that, a stream will consist of data being Read and often* data being written (I.e. Between a Client and an MA OR data moving between 2 MA’s as part of an Aux Copy).
In the case of Parallel Data Transfers, both a Read operation and Write operation are counted individually.

It is possible to view all Streams in use at a global level from the Job Controller, which is limited by the ‘High Watermark’:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=6352.htm

If this doesn’t answer your question, can i ask what is is you’re wanting to know and why and perhaps we can provide a more direct answer.

*I say often, as a Data Verification or browse will occupy a Reader, but no writers.

Cheers

Jase

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi ! 

I was also wondering about this same.. 

My concern was to be aware of the current status, to assist for troubleshooting of performance, for example.

Like, can I adjust the amount of max streams for a data verification job, or an auxcopy, or schedule more, as my MA is far below the max streams..

Or to trouble shoot a Gridstor performance issue.

Or just ot confirm to my manager that the high end hardware/setup he bought is delivering max performance in line with the Commvault MA’s best recommendations :wink:  

Another evolution of this kind of request, from my humble opinion, is that I would appreciate to have a report about the amount of streams (and/or jobs) per media agent for the last 24 hours, in the reports section… 

Would anyone else be interested in such report ? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

hi @jgeorges 

I want to see how many streams are opened on 1 Media Agent on that time, live, current status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@0ber0n , have you tried adding a filter in the job controller for that Media Agent, then looking at the section @jgeorges suggested?  That should limit your view accordingly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Mike Struening 

Yes, I tried but unfortunately it didn't work.

Best Regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I also tried, but the streams information is global, and does not apply to the filtered view..

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi again,

Anyone has another suggestion ?

I strongly recommend having such a feature in an easy-to-find place in the Commvault Console for the next Service Packs :)

Best Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I didn’t forget you @0ber0n !  Asking internally, will share once I get an answer (or you’ll see them post right here).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@0ber0n , heard back from development:

We show Backup active reservations and Aux reservations which is same as active streams.

Let me know if this provides what you need!

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information, I guess this can help :)

Best Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!!