Solved

How to install vsa agent -requirements

• 28 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have installed Simpana 11.20 on commvault backup server srvbck (on this machine is also installed media agent which serves backup on Tape library)
Also I have four virtual machines, vsa-agent (which is installed on Citrix virtualization platform) and another media agent htmmediaagent1 which serves backup virtual machines.The backup is located at the htmmediaagent1 server location.

I should add more virtual machines(which are located on different virtualization platforms) for backup
on the Tape library. Then another media agent would be used for backup srvbck… My question is:

Do I need to have another vsa agent installed (on other virtualization) to back up virtual machines to the Tape library?

Do I need to have a separate all agents installed on for each virtualization?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 29 September 2021, 16:44

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you @Mike Struening for your answer. 

I have already opened another thread around the MA problem.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@elizabeta , dedupe is not available on tapes.  This would result in multiple tapes being needed to restore even a few files, and tapes are generally moved around to different locations.

I believe you opened another thread for the MA install issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Now, I have Citrix virtualization vsa agent, FREL server on linux and media agent on windows. I have added a new virtual machine which uses another media agent for virtual backup.

The backup is complete and settled on the tape library..But when I do restore I have an error

Whether during the installation vsa on a Hypervisor, all agents must emphasize which media agent is used?
Another question,
when I create a Storage policy that will place a backup to the Tape library no deduplication option is offered?

Does this mean that deduplication cannot be used if it is a library Tape library?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Thank you @Aplynx !

I would like to ask what about the server File Recovery Enabler (FREL).

Do I need to have one or more such servers installed for each virtualization or is one such server enough?

I have a plan to backup virtual machines from different hypervisors to the Tape library..

BR,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I would recommend a separate Hypervisor and VSA Proxy(es) for each one.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have plan to backup many VM from multiple hypervisors (differnet virtualization Citrix, VMware) ?

Must have all installed on each hypervisor vsa or just one is enough?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@elizabeta , are you asking if you can back up vms from multiple hypervisors on one VSA proxy?  I’m not sure I understand your request, so I don’t want to answer and end up adding confusion :sunglasses:

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The VSA agent is used to talk directly to the hypervisors, such as VMware, Hyper V, Azure, etc.

If you’re just looking to backup the individual machines, they can be physical or virtual and only need the Windows File System iDA installed.