Solved

I couldn't install Commserve on Linux

• 27 October 2021
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

I saw Commvault bring Commserve Linux feature in Feature Release 25. So i wanted to test it. I created Linux package as described here;

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/2696_downloading_software_for_unix_linux_and_macintosh_computers_using_download_manager.html

I installed fresh RHEL 8.3. I’m trying to setup as described here;

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/132361_installing_commserve_server_in_linux_environment.html

In my screen i don’t see Create a new CommCell Group option. My screen;

Could you help me for this issue. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Carl Manzi 2 December 2021, 01:26

View original

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ibrahimemrekaya , are you sure you downloaded the right package?

I’m going to verify, though I believe this is what you need:

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/130/725/21137

I spoke to the great @MFasulo who advised that he can help you directly.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi,

I saw Commvault bring Commserve Linux feature in Feature Release 25. So i wanted to test it. I created Linux package as described here;

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/2696_downloading_software_for_unix_linux_and_macintosh_computers_using_download_manager.html

I installed fresh RHEL 8.3. I’m trying to setup as described here;

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/132361_installing_commserve_server_in_linux_environment.html

In my screen i don’t see Create a new CommCell Group option. My screen;

Could you help me for this issue. Thank you.

Please reach out to me directly: mfasulo@commvault.com

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @MFasulo,

I sent email to you. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ibrahimemrekaya following up on this thread.  Anything insightful to share on your install so far?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I’m trying this as well from the full media kit and get the same install options as this original post. Using advanced option doesn’t show a CommServe option. What’s the trick to make it install a Commserve?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi, 

It probably won’t help much, but I works in my lab

I’m running on CentOS

CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

my unpacked install package is 7G in size

7.0G    /opt/media/Unix/

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks, I’m running Centos 8.4 (a little higher than the published supported version) and Unix extraction is 12GB. The MD5 checksums matched so no corruption, so either a version mismatch or a soe=mething needs tweaking in the OS to allow the installer to show the CommServe option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@MFasulo , tagging you to see if you can share how you helped @ibrahimemrekaya and perhaps assist @Mike London UK .

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi, 

It probably won’t help much, but I works in my lab

I’m running on CentOS

CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)

my unpacked install package is 7G in size

7.0G    /opt/media/Unix/

Hi @Robert Horowski ,

Did you install any additional package on CentOS?

Also how did you create your Commvault package? I selected only linux_x8664 and full media kit.

Thank you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @ibrahimemrekaya

From what I can see in history I’ve only installed lvm packages

cat ~/.bash_history | grep "yum"
sudo yum install lvm
sudo yum install lvm2
yum install open-vmtools
yum install open-vm-tools
yum install open-vm-tools
yum
yum info
yum info glibc

so nothing fancy.

I’ve also downloaded only linux_x8664 and full media kit.

My media was created 19-OCT so I tried to create fresh media today and run the installer on the same system as before and Commserve is gone.

Although please note that this time it is 11.25.6 as 11.25.2 was not available for download anymore.

So maybe there is something wrong with media creator.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks, my installer just reports 11.25.0 (from Store) but I get exactly the same as you are now. @Mike Struening is the any chance of getting someone to validate the install image?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m sure we can do that.

@MFasulo , I’ll reach out to our cloud team, though knowing you, you’ll likely have some advice/insight.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

8.4 is unsupported.   If anyone is looking to test this beyond basic lab tests, please reach out to me  mfasulo@commvault.com

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I’ll rebuild at 8.3 whilst we get that image checked out, thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ll rebuild at 8.3 whilst we get that image checked out, thanks.

Ok keep me posted, I’m not sure 8.3 was tested.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I’ve have two VMs ready to go one for each OS version listed in BoL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 with glibc 2.28-108 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7 and above with glibc 2.17.x) but neither are any good until the install image will allow CommServe installation. Even running to create a custom package there is no CommServe option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mike London UK , you may need special access since the Linux CS is Early Adopter only.

As @MFasulo said, if you’re interested in doing testing beyond basic lab tests, e-mail him to request access.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@MFasulo , @Mike Struening did anyone verify that the image will install a Commserve? Also @MFasulo I did mail you a few days ago but if you need me to go through a different channel to get authorised please let me know.

Thanks both.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mike London UK , my understanding is that you need permission to get the correct image (which @MFasulo can provide if you are accepting for Early Adopter status).

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

This is the software kit needed (it should show 11.25.6)

Store (commvault.com)

I’m in active communication with Mike. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

I downloaded “11.25 Linux MediaKit (Early Release)” again and I can see Commserve option now.

Thank you @MFasulo  @Mike Struening  

I’m going to try install Commserve.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

Installation is done.

FYI @MFasulo @Mike Struening 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@MFasulo have managed to download the image thanks and that has installed successfully into my Centos 7.9 VM. It did install in my 8.3 VM but nothing runs for some reason but that is something for another day/thread (once I go through it again).

Thanks for all your help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Have got this installed on Centos 8.4 as well after a strange problem with Commvault not being able to run any services. /var/log/message showed permission errors and mentioned “re-labelling” so I ran “touch /.autorelabel” and rebooted and CV services came online after the boot.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Have got this installed on Centos 8.4 as well after a strange problem with Commvault not being able to run any services. /var/log/message showed permission errors and mentioned “re-labelling” so I ran “touch /.autorelabel” and rebooted and CV services came online after the boot.

When you did the install did you leave the default permission set?