Solved

Import backup from Disk Library

• 8 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi

Background: Our backups are stored on a Data Domain and the Data Domain replicates itself to a remote site, additionally we've got daily snapshots on the data domain itself to prevent backup data deletion (these snapshots can only be deleted using the sysadmin account).

Because we use Data Domain we are storing our backups without compression or deduplication.

But my question can be the same for the following situation:

Lets assume I've got a media agent, with a data disk (where the disk library is on) attached to it. the building catches fire and I am only able to unplug the data drive. I loose everything expect for the data drive.

If I install a new commcell, can I then import the backups from that data drive somehow?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 8 June 2021, 19:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barts , assuming you can just rebuild the Media Agent (same name, IP, etc.) and reattach the data drive in the same manner (same path, etc.) you should be fine.

Any backup or restore will look to the expected library on the expected path on the expected Media agent and find it.

Even if you just migrated the library to a new Media Agent, it wouldn’t matter that you’re doing it as part of a disaster as opposed to because you simply wanted to move the library to another location:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/essential/43671_media_recovery_disk_media.html

The above doc explains how to recover media in a disaster.

Badge +1

Thank you Mike, for your fast feedback!

When I mentioned that I lost everything, I also mean that I lost my commcell, the only thing that I've got left is the data drive. 

In this scenario I also have to reinstall the commcell from scratch, which I think means that it does not matter where I mount the disk again?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Barts does this disk contain DR Backups from the CS also?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Barts , I actually have something that will help you out.  I just wrote this up the other day as part of an initiative to get people to protect their CS from a ransomware disaster.

For your use case, this will make restoring the CS MUUUUUUUUCH easier!

One of the easiest ways to protect yourself rom a Ransomware disaster is having a copy of your Commserve database air gapped in the cloud.

We also recommend that you save the Commserve database on a network share which protects you from losing the database backup in the event of a hardware failure.

• To configure the Cloud DR Feature, please Go to Panel/ Maintenance/ DR Backup, then enable 'Upload the DR backup metadata to Commvault Cloud'.
  • To remediate the DR backup location, navigate to Control Panel > DR Backup Settings > Export Settings tab and select Use Network Share and configure accordingly.

For more information, click the link below:

Configure the Cloud DR feature

Setting the initial save locations as a Network share.