Solved

Linux VSA (RHEL 8.2) - Issues with Mono Process (Causing to hang)

• 7 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi,

We are having an issue with a VSA Proxy Running on RHEL 8.2. (11.21.24)

When we start a VM backup, the VSDiscovery phase seems to go well and complete, however the VSBackup phase hangs with error “The control process for the previous phase is still running. PID [343440]”

That PID corresponds to the previous discovery phase, so it looks like that phase wasn’t closed properly even though in the logs we can see it completes it correctly.

What we do observe in the VSDiscovery log is the Mono process starting a cleanup right after the VSDiscovery process ends, and we think that is what is causing our issues:

VSDiscovery.log

343440 53d90 04/07 14:17:46 3526286 BKP CALLED COMPLETE (PHASE Status::SUCCESS), 3526286. Token [3526286:2:1:0:57156]
343440 53d90 04/07 14:17:47 3526286 CVMWareInfo::ShutdownVMInfo() - VMDiskInfo::Shutdown complete
343440 53da9 04/07 14:17:47 3526286 mono cleanup started

When we kill the PID manually and resume the job, it will complete succesfully. So I’m thinking there is an issue with that Mono process, but we’re not sure what exactly.

Has anyone else had this issue before?

Thanks.

Jeremy

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 14 May 2021, 17:45

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nice investigation - looks like you are on to something.

Either Mono or VDDK could be holding the process up - you could check vixdisklib.log as well for VDDK.

Just checking, which version of MONO is installed? it should be 6.8 as newer versions may cause issues.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your answer.

I checked the vixdisklib as you suggested, but I don’t find anything weird or related to this issue. To me it looks like an issue with Mono. It’s indeed Mono 6.8 that’s installed.

I’ll raise a case with Support as this seems an issue out of our control.

I’ll update this thread if I have more info.

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your answer.

I checked the vixdisklib as you suggested, but I don’t find anything weird or related to this issue. To me it looks like an issue with Mono. It’s indeed Mono 6.8 that’s installed.

I’ll raise a case with Support as this seems an issue out of our control.

I’ll update this thread if I have more info.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy - agreed, this does not seem like something easily solved here, but keen to understand the cause, its an interesting one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Jeremy , if you don’t mind, pm me the case number so I can track it.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

On a side note, how critical is the Redhat 7/CentOS 7 version for mono? I am seeing timeouts during client registration even though AWS CLI is working and EC2.region.amazinaws.com is reachable.  Never mind, turned out to be a troublesome web proxy.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi all,

Sorry for my lack of feedback. A case was created with Support. (I sent a PM to Mike with the case number) At this time, the case has been escalated to Development.

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confirming that the issue was resolved by installing hotfix pack 33.

Badge +2
Could someone pass me the manual download link for Mono Version 6.8?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fidel Berrum , edited:

I see you started a new thread (which is a better method to track :grinning: )