Solved

Live browse of guest files from a cloud library from a MA in the cloud

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

We have the following scenario:

Cloud library → shared between MA1(windows vm on prem) ; MA2(azure VM windows) 

VMware VM (backed up using VSA) backed up by MA1

Browse and restore from MA1 works

services stopped on MA1

Browse and restore from MA2 fails → “Browse failed due to error while mounting virtual machine.”

We see that the cvvd driver is not loaded on MA2 wheras it is on MA1. (As per https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/30807_live_browse_and_block_level_browse.html Block-level browse uses a block-level driver to mount a pseudo disk on the MediaAgent being used for browse and restore operations.; Cloud Library Support for Live Browse

For all VSA hypervisors that support live browse, you can perform live browse operations with the following cloud libraries: Microsoft Azure Storage: Default container storage using hot or cold access tiers with General Purpose v1 (GPv1) or General Purpose v2 (GPv2) storage account

Question is : Is live browse supported for MAs in Azure?

icon

Best answer by neuwiesener 22 October 2021, 16:30

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

@neuwiesener Are you able to specify the MA2 during the browse from the “advanced options” tab before submitting the browse?

What kind of storage is this located on? Archive cloud storage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Another point here - Only one media agent can hold the index cache at once. There needs to be connectivity between Media Agents to allow the non-hosting MA to lookup the index cache info. So if MA1 holds the index, and the browse request happens through MA2, then MA2 will reach MA1 to read the index.

Using Media Agent here interchangeably for VSA as well (assume the MA has VSA installed :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @neuwiesener , hope all is well.  I’m marking this as solved since your browse works, though I’m hoping you can add in more detail on what changed?

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Mike we were still having this issue but were able to work it around. I shall check and get back to you on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh, great news!  Looking forward to your reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@neuwiesener , gentle follow up.  Can you share the solution you found?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @neuwiesener , following up one more time to see if you have anything you can add (or if the issue persists).

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Damian Andre MA 1 and MA2 both have VSA installed. Shouldn't the index get restored from the backup if the MA holding index goes down due to DR? Issue persists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @neuwiesener , following up to see if the workaround fixed the issue (and what you did so we can all read).

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Mike Struening Reattempting a browse worked. not sure what had changed! Will redo the test and update you on this. But now we are busy with creating cloud libraries in different locations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @neuwiesener , gentle follow up on this one,  Were you able to resolve the issue (or open a support case)?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You’re busy, totally understandable!

Looking forward to any findings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @neuwiesener ,how are things looking?  If you have a time frame for me to follow up, just let me know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @neuwiesener , hope all is well!

Hoping you can share your solution for posterity!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @neuwiesener , following up to see if specifying the MA during the browse did the trick.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hello @neuwiesener 

Does MA2 have the Virtual Server Agent installed on it? You can see if you go to the properties of the client and go to the “Version” tab.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@neuwiesener I have asked around about this and suggestions are to open a case.  Can you share the case number with me when you do?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Dan White Yes it is.