Solved

Migrate a Data Path

• 11 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi, 

we just started to use an object storage to tier out the data after 7 days. We created one bucket and added it to commvault as backup target. Den we changed the config and created another bucket but forget to delete the first one and now commvault is using both buckets to store the data. 
How can I migrate the already stored data in bucket 2 (data path 1) into bucket 1 (data path 2) ?
After I could migrate the data I would like to delete the second data path and then remove the bucket in the Object Storage.

Regards

Thomas

icon

Best answer by Prasad Nara 11 March 2021, 13:16

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Option 1:

You need to disable the mount path and wait for all the data in it to age and then delete it. Refer below doc for details.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=9203.htm

Option 2:

1. Disable mount path temporarily.
  1. Copy the contents from one bucket to another using cloud vendor tools or any third party tools.
  1. Update the the bucket name on the mount path and enable it back.
Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hi @Prasad Nara , 

I choose Option 1. I disabled the mount path and wait untill the retention time for the stored data runs out.

Thank you for your help. 

Regards

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

@Prasad Nara 
Just deactivating the mount path causes another problem. The Aux copy job just stuck
Library [Norderstedt Object Storage], MediaAgent [], Drive Pool [], MountPath[cvmapapp02]: The device is not enabled. Advice: Please check the following and retry the operation: 1. This product's services are running on the MediaAgent. 2. Enable the device from the Console.
Source: cvcspapp, Process: JobManager

Have I perhaps overlooked something else ?

regards 

Thomas

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

aahhhh I don’t have to disable the library at all, just for new data. I am so blind :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

aahhhh I don’t have to disable the library at all, just for new data. I am so blind :-)

yes, just disable for new data.

Badge +5

Option 1:

You need to disable the mount path and wait for all the data in it to age and then delete it. Refer below doc for details.

Option 2:

1. Copy the contents from one bucket to another using cloud vendor tools or any third party tools.

Hi @Prasad Nara ,

Wouldn’t aux copy work for copying everything from the old bucket to the new bucket? I wouldn’t want to wait for 10 years for data to age.

Please advise

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Option 1:

Option 2:

Hi,

Wouldn’t aux copy work for copying everything from the old bucket to the new bucket? I wouldn’t want to wait for 10 years for data to age.

Please advise

AuxCopy is option 3. if you want to move data to another bucket, option 2 is faster. 

This is similar to move disk mount path from one location to another location. For cloud mount paths, you can use cloud vendor or third party tools to move data from one bucket to another bucket.

Example:  For Azure,  you can use azcopy tool.