Solved

Migration 1 SQL Server for new SQL server by commvault

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

the cliente need to migrate MS SQL Server database for the new server by Continuous Data Replicator.

Someone already made this procedure and can help me?

I install SQL Server in 2 servers and add to Commcell.

Current version of Commvault: 11 SP 13+

**Do i need to upgrade Commvault before migrating?

Current version of SQL: 2012

And the cliente is asking to me what the best version will migrate? 2019 standard or enterprise?

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 13 May 2021, 20:11

View original

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!  I’ll keep an eye here for your update!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening @Ledoesp 

I´m looking for the SQL Versions must be the same to make the replication.

Do you know where i can find it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

From CommVault Java console you can see this at the SQL instance properties:

Also in program and features you can get the SQL version installed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

i found:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=92004.htm

In the online manual it says that it supports the same version or a higher version to Live Sync Operations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ricardo, I told you the same yesterday. I’m afraid the problem is that publico01 (source) has a SQLExpress version SQL 2014 while publico02 (destination) version SQL 2019 has a Standard.

Can you try to use a standard SQL 2014 instead of SQLExpress in source?

Also, not sure the commvault version you have in lab, SQL 2019 is supported in v11.16 onwards.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The version of MS SQL servers:

If this works? I think no, because doesn´t appear in the CommServ GUI or because the express version.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just in case, have you performed the documented steps?

From the Destination Instance list, select the instance where the software replicates the data.

The Commvault software automatically populates the Destination Clientvalue based on the instance that you select

Try it just in case. Otherwise the other reason might be the edition of the engine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

The SQL instance in puiblico01:

Don´t appear for me in SQL Live Option

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Please list the available destination instance to see what it is listed and if desired destination instance is selected it populates the destination client publico02 and once destination is selected the databases are displayed in square below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza have you had a chance to follow the advice from @Ledoesp ?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

The database team access the server and viewed that change some parameters and appear the database in commserv, i make full backup early and create the CDR, but have an error when start the replication:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I run the full backup and stop and restart the replicator, but the unavaliable to be continued:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening and @Ledoesp

Could you help me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , I would suggest opening a support case for this.

Let me know the case number so I can follow.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening 

The environment is in Lab and need to apply this in the cliente. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As long as you have a valid maintenance contract for that lab, you can call in a ticket.  It might not get Premier support, but you can check.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening @Ledoesp 

Some questions to ask you:
1) After preparing the CDR for another server, didn´t migrate the transaction logs, does anyone know why this doesn´t work?
Note: I had already setup to configure Live Sync and CDR.
2) Do i need to use live sync with the CDR and do a full backup before setup it on the CDR?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

CDR stands for Continous Data Replication, so having the phase of Replication in Unavailable is normal status.

Why are you still using CDR? I already mentioned a few times that is not the proper way to migrate SQL from source machine to destination machine. You have already configured SQL Live Sync, this relies on SQL agent for backup and restore, CDR is not needed for SQL Live Sync to work so please don’t use it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

ok, i will make the change and then I will let you know.

thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp @Mike Struening 

Do i need to install CommServe LiveSync package in my CommServe?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are you planning now to configure CommServe Live Sync between a production CommServe and a standby CommServe? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Yes, 

And the database appears to be made the Sync:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I need to replicate to another server, this is a Laboratory.

But when i finish the LyveSync setup, it does nothing; and i saw that CommServe LiveSync” is not installed:

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

As a summary, you have already working in your lab the SQL Live Sync between source SQL client publico01 and destination SQL client publico02. Live Sync for SQL is used to have and SQL standby server in sync for the instance and databases specified from a source production machine. For performing a migration from 1 server to another, it is enough performing backup on source and restoring to destination.

For configuring now CommServe Live Sync, follow the documentation starting with the prerequisites: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=102842.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp @Mike Struening 

I need to restore the MDF and/or LDF files. How can i do this?