Solved

Migration 1 SQL Server for new SQL server by commvault

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

the cliente need to migrate MS SQL Server database for the new server by Continuous Data Replicator.

Someone already made this procedure and can help me?

I install SQL Server in 2 servers and add to Commcell.

Current version of Commvault: 11 SP 13+

**Do i need to upgrade Commvault before migrating?

Current version of SQL: 2012

And the cliente is asking to me what the best version will migrate? 2019 standard or enterprise?

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 13 May 2021, 20:11

View original

89 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Fernando, you are mentioning CDR (ContinousData Replicator) but then you refer to SQL agent.

1)  Do I need an SQL license for the new MS SQL server?

If you mean a Microsoft license, yes you need one.

If you need a CommVault SQL agent license, yes you need as you have already used 3 Application Class 1 licenses of a total of 3. The good thing is that you can install in restore mode the SQL agent on the new server, once restored is completed, you can release license from the old SQL server and then activate the license on the new server and enable its scheduling.

​​​​2)​​​ If you don’t have enough licenses for our SQL agent, you can do dumps to disk in your maintenance plans and use FS or VSA agent to collect them. You can use this for performing the migration. There are more than 1 way to achieve an outcome in life. (it sounds a bit philosophical). I am afraid using CDR is not the right approach, not even when there is unlimited CDR licenses in this CommCell.

3) Updating from v11 SP13 to a more recent and supported version of CommVault it is good start.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!  I’ll keep an eye here for your update!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

CDR stands for Continous Data Replication, so having the phase of Replication in Unavailable is normal status.

Why are you still using CDR? I already mentioned a few times that is not the proper way to migrate SQL from source machine to destination machine. You have already configured SQL Live Sync, this relies on SQL agent for backup and restore, CDR is not needed for SQL Live Sync to work so please don’t use it.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp 

ok, i will make the change and then I will let you know.

thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are you planning now to configure CommServe Live Sync between a production CommServe and a standby CommServe? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , I won’t be able to, but if you open a support case (and mention this thread) the Frontline can assign this to one of our SQL experts who can assist you.

Badge +15

@Mike Struening

Could you help me? Could you access my labs to discovery these problems?

WAIT WHAT

Badge

Hello,

the cliente need to migrate MS SQL Server database for the new server by Continuous Data Replicator.

Someone already made this procedure and can help me?

I install SQL Server in 2 servers and add to Commcell.

Current version of Commvault: 11 SP 13+

**Do i need to upgrade Commvault before migrating?

Current version of SQL: 2012

And the cliente is asking to me what the best version will migrate? 2019 standard or enterprise?

What is the end goal here? A migration usually consists of a backup/restore and not a replication yet you mention both. Continuous Data Replicator can only replicate flat file system files, to replicate SQL files from one active SQL instance to another, SQL Live Sync would need to be used. Note for SQL Live Sync is that it you can only use it for Full Recovery model SQL databases. The SQL Live Sync documentation should help you through any issues: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp13/article?p=92005.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

As a summary, you have already working in your lab the SQL Live Sync between source SQL client publico01 and destination SQL client publico02. Live Sync for SQL is used to have and SQL standby server in sync for the instance and databases specified from a source production machine. For performing a migration from 1 server to another, it is enough performing backup on source and restoring to destination.

For configuring now CommServe Live Sync, follow the documentation starting with the prerequisites: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=102842.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp

The customer wants MS SQL Server 2012 to migrate from a new server by CDR Commvault.

Questions:
1) Do I need an SQL license to add the MS SQL server (new)?
(I think no)
2) Are you recommending using an area to do the out of place and restore by MS SQL, without needing to use commvault?
3) the client will update the version before and then migrate the MS SQL database by commvault.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello,

The database team access the server and viewed that change some parameters and appear the database in commserv, i make full backup early and create the CDR, but have an error when start the replication:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I run the full backup and stop and restart the replicator, but the unavaliable to be continued:

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening and @Ledoesp

Could you help me?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , I would suggest opening a support case for this.

Let me know the case number so I can follow.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening 

The environment is in Lab and need to apply this in the cliente. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Procedure:

Select the MS SQL Database

Recover All Selected

Example:
Change the destination cliente and path

and after “Job Controller”

ok?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As long as you have a valid maintenance contract for that lab, you can call in a ticket.  It might not get Premier support, but you can check.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@Mike Struening @Ledoesp 

Some questions to ask you:
1) After preparing the CDR for another server, didn´t migrate the transaction logs, does anyone know why this doesn´t work?
Note: I had already setup to configure Live Sync and CDR.
2) Do i need to use live sync with the CDR and do a full backup before setup it on the CDR?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp and @Mike Struening 

I made the full backup of my sql server:

Then, i will setup the live sync, but don´t appear the second node SQL and neither the database:

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The software only displays the SQL instances that have the same SQL version or higher than the source database.

Source is SQLExpress and destination SQL Instance is LXPSQL01, what versions they are?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Ledoesp @Mike Struening 

I need to restore the MDF and/or LDF files. How can i do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No, I would expect it to show up.  Can you open a support case and share the case number with me?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening

I need to know if i need license for commvault when i add new SQL Server to migrate.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The SQL Servers version are diferents in these severs.

i will contact DBA to solve these ands continues the procedure and post that i will make here.

Thannk you!!!! @Ledoesp @Mike Struening