Solved

Move backup data to another place

• 10 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello everyone,

I have a situation that I couldn't find in the documentation and in community here in how this could be done properly.

We have a attached disk as DAS in the Media Agent and we have the need to move all the backups of the VMs to another place which will be a Cloud Storage.

Is it possible to move all the backup data and after this change the subclients to this new Storage that we need as well?

(Sorry for my bad english, btw :grimacing: ).

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 10 June 2021, 20:21

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Antonio, 

Is all the data from the same storage policy?  Is yes a simple way could be create a secondary copy to your cloud storage. Aux copy all the data to the secondary copy. Promote the cloud copy to Primary and then age off the DAS copy. 

This is dependent on deduplication whether it’s global etc...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also, @antonio you’re English is excellent!  Welcome to the community :sunglasses:

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Antonio, 

Is all the data from the same storage policy?  Is yes a simple way could be create a secondary copy to your cloud storage. Aux copy all the data to the secondary copy. Promote the cloud copy to Primary and then age off the DAS copy. 

This is dependent on deduplication whether it’s global etc...

Hi @Blaine Williams ,

All data is not in the same storage policy, for each VM I needed to create a storage policy with the properly schedule, retention and etc.

We use a global deduplication for this specific storage.

Even though you mention it's an easy process, it's only been a while since I started using / tinkering with Commvault, so I may have difficulty assimilating the entire process correctly, :grimacing:.

Also, @antonio you’re English is excellent!  Welcome to the community :sunglasses:

Thank you @Mike Struening.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@antonio , why does each VM need its own Storage Policy?

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

@antonio , why does each VM need its own Storage Policy?

Well, this is because we are a MSP, and for each VM, was created a Storage Policy for them.

Also, I created all of this in the Command Center with Plans, so when I put a VM in the specific Plan, a Storage Policy was created for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ahh, ok that makes sense then!

So essentially what @Blaine Williams said is correct.  If you look at it from the perspective of “Copies with data written to this DAS” then you can just create Aux Copies that point to the Cloud for each Storage Policy with a Primary copy that writes to the DAS you wish to move/migrate.  Once they finish, promote them to Primary and you’ll be done.

It is simple in the steps, but it will be a few steps multiplied by each storage Policy.

Here’s the links for each part:

Creating synch aux copies:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/118965_creating_synchronous_copy_using_storage_pool.html

Promoting once they are caught up:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/13931_setting_up_storage_policy_copy_to_be_primary_copy.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Ahh, ok that makes sense then!

So essentially what @Blaine Williams said is correct.  If you look at it from the perspective of “Copies with data written to this DAS” then you can just create Aux Copies that point to the Cloud for each Storage Policy with a Primary copy that writes to the DAS you wish to move/migrate.  Once they finish, promote them to Primary and you’ll be done.

It is simple in the steps, but it will be a few steps multiplied by each storage Policy.

Here’s the links for each part:

Creating synch aux copies:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/118965_creating_synchronous_copy_using_storage_pool.html

Promoting once they are caught up:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/13931_setting_up_storage_policy_copy_to_be_primary_copy.html

Thank you very much for the answer @Mike Struening:smiley: . I will follow the steps you mentioned with the links you provided as well. I think this should answer my question, :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!  Hope to see you back here on the forums soon!