Solved

MSP question: Exporting O365 data at exit customer

• 16 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello,

is someone maybe knowing if its possible to export the O365 backup data including the metadata? For normal iData agents the CCM function can be used. But if we read correctly that isn’t supported for exchange data as example.

thanks.

Michel

icon

Best answer by Param Kumarasamy 17 February 2021, 17:20

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I think it is possible to Export the Mailboxes to PST FIles but this is a lot of work if you want to export every Backup.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Folkaiser,

I think it is possible to Export the Mailboxes to PST FIles but this is a lot of work if you want to export every Backup.

yes, that is exactly what i mean. If a customer wants to switch from MSP as example then a PST export not a suitable solution. Because what you mention this is indeed a lot of work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@M Scheepers , thanks for the message!  CCM is not supported for v2 indexing right now.

I’m going to get some of our devs/products guys to chime in here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Mike Struening Great, please let us know..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@M Scheepers , heard back from our Products team and they suggested exporting to a PST as there is no method for CCM for v2.  

You should be able to do a bulk export (if you don’t want to do the entire folder):

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/essential/124404_exporting_and_downloading_mailbox_items_folders_or_messages.html

Let me know if this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening if you read the documentation yourself than you already see that the suggested method of exporting to PST comes with a lot of pitfalls, one of them for example is the limit of 25GB.

Now imagine you are facilitating the backup and recovery service for a customer with 5000 users,m than running a mass PST export is an intensive and lengthy task. A possible clean exit strategy is something that is on the top of the mind for a lot of customers these days, so having the ability to leverage a CCM export method would definitely be a very big plus and could potentially be a key selling point for customers to use Metallic as well. Imagine the ability for customer to move their O365 backups to Metallic of from Metallic back to on-premise. Sure you will need access to the storage as well but using cloud storage here definitely helps and not to forget the customer will remain a Commvault customer ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree, 100%.  I’ll share your feedback and see if I can get someone to respond here directly.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg Hope all is well. Your point is very valid on migrating the data from on-premise to metallic, it should be smooth and include all relevant metadata. We were looking into this. We will take your idea into consideration as well. We will have enhancement requests to consider for the future roadmap. 

@M Scheepers  - Are you currently looking to migrate on-premise data into metallic or more for future consideration? 

Thanks

Param

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Param Kumarasamy We looking for both. We want to be able to migrate also O365 between our on-premise commcells, but also be able to migrate to another MSP (if necessary) or Metallic. But maybe it could also happen that customers wants to migrate from Metallic to local MSP :sunglasses:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks Michael for the response. I have created the request; 309837 for internal tracking.