Solved

MSSQL Restore stream

• 10 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi Fellas,

I have searched on the documentation about the changing the mssql restore stream but I couldn’ t find any good information about this. for example, Is it possible to change mssql restore stream from 8 to 4 ?

Best Regards.

icon

Best answer by dude 10 June 2021, 21:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Fellas,

I have searched on the documentation about the changing the mssql restore stream but I couldn’ t find any good information about this. for example, Is it possible to change mssql restore stream from 8 to 4 ?

Best Regards.

The SQL Server Virtual Device Interface Specification (official documentation has not changed since 2005!) forbids this sadly and it is not much fun when you drop the number of restorable tape drives down from the original library configuration. The reason it is like this is simply how the streaming device data pipelines divides the workload.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

It is not possible to my knowledge. From experience and gathered from support in the past is that whatever number of streams you use to Backup SQL Agents it will be the default for restores as well.

That is correct. When multiple streams are used, multiple backupdevices are requested to be used from Microsoft SQL Server. So if 4 streams are used, 4 backupdevices are generated and on restore, SQL Server is expecting the same number returned. 

Badge +15

It is not possible to my knowledge. From experience and gathered from support in the past is that whatever number of streams you use to Backup SQL Agents it will be the default for restores as well.