Solved

Need to set different retention for specific folder

• 15 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hello everyone,

There is a node which belongs to  daily_filesystem storage policy and the primary copy retention set to 35 days. Now, there is a requirement from the customer to keep specific folders with 550 days retention.

Can somebody please guide me the steps. 

As per my understanding, I have to create a new copy in daily_filesystem storage policy with 550 retention and in Associations tab add the node’s specific folder.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks

Amit

icon

Best answer by Christian Negron 16 July 2021, 20:02

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello,

Below is the steps to manually define retention for specific jobs. This can be used as an alternative to creating a new policy copy : https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=13990.htm

You can also create a new Synchronous copy and associate only the client (and subclient) in question (as you mentioned above). 

Badge +15

Just from the brief description this does not sound like the kind of thing you want to be setting a different retention per job as that can be very time and manual type of job.

You may want to create a different storage policy and have its on separate subclient for that set of data.

Badge +4

Hi Christian, Thanks for the reply.

Basically its not an one time job, I have to keep the folder data for 550 days as daily basis. Means, I have to run the folder data backup separatelyvia schedule as daily basis and retain it for 550 days.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Christian, Thanks for the reply.

Basically its not an one time job, I have to keep the folder data for 550 days as daily basis. Means, I have to run the folder data backup separatelyvia schedule as daily basis and retain it for 550 days.

Hello Amit,

If that is the case, it may be best to create a new Storage Policy dedicated to that client only (as dude mentioned above).

Otherwise, you can create a new storage policy copy within the existing SP as you mentioned.

Badge +4

Hi Christian and Dude, thanks for the reply. 

I was trying to create a new storage policy copy within the existing SP with 550 days retention. While doing final submission, below screen appeared. I want to understand what will happen if I click Yes or no. Basically I want to make some changes before final submission. As per my understanding, if I press yes, it should come back to its previous screen and I can make changes.  

I am having another question. If I try to create new copy in existing SP in Windows 2008, I am getting correct screen as shared below.

However, from Windows 2016, its different

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Amit,

Question 1: 

If you select “No”, it will save the submission and you can go back to the properties to modify further if needed. Selecting “Yes” will bring you to the menu to define a time range of jobs to choose for copy. Clicking the [X] at the top right will allow you to go back and make what ever changes are needed before saving the copy configuration.

Question 2: 

This seems more related to the Commvault media level than the OS.

On the 2008 sever, this GUI appears to be an older version of Commvault. 

In SP20+, you are prompted with options to create Storage Pools or use a library (as you see in the second screenshot): https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=118964.htm

What Version and Service Pack are these servers on? You can check from the bottom right of the console or within the Process manager;

(In newer iterations, “Service Pack” is called “Feature Release”)