Solved

Netapp Open Replication - 2 Copies of one volume

• 15 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

Hi everyone,

i`ve been using intellisnap with netapp for a long time now at customers but always with the oncommand unified manager.

been trying to test a bit with the netapp open replication now to get rid of the OCUM.

so the setup is….2 netapp simulators, one cifs volume at the source, relationship set up.

snapshot and vault to one destination volume works.
snapshot and mirror to another destination volume (from same source) works.

but i am getting errors, when it comes to set up one source volume to one destination volume using BOTH - vault and mirror type. this was working before with ocum - istn it supported with the open replication anymore?

thank you in advance,
Sebastian

icon

Best answer by dude 15 March 2021, 17:56

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi @Sebastian Kupka 

When you say “Vault and Mirror” is the relationship type setup on the NetApp side for the volumes?

In case you are starting two snapmirror jobs i.e., mirror and vault at the same time, you are likely to encounter an issue.

Let us know the error message you are getting.

Regards,

Rashid

Badge +2

Hi @Sebastian Kupka 

When you say “Vault and Mirror” is the relationship type setup on the NetApp side for the volumes?

In case you are starting two snapmirror jobs i.e., mirror and vault at the same time, you are likely to encounter an issue.

Let us know the error message you are getting.

Regards,

Rashid

Hi @R Anwar,

thank you for your reply.

yes correct. it was set up for both - vault and mirror also within system manager GUI.

the jobs were started separately - first vault  and then tried mirror - but not two at the same time.

i will try to do a test run today or maybe the next days and copy the erorrs in here.

cheers,
Sebastian

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi Sebastian,

Since you are testing, could you change the replication type to “vault” and see if it works fine?

Regards,

Rashid

Badge +2

Hi Sebastian,

Since you are testing, could you change the replication type to “vault” and see if it works fine?

Regards,

Rashid

Hey Rashid,

Volume1_src to volume1_dest → Vault works fine (Vault Relationship set)

Volume1_src to volume2_dest → Mirror works fine (Mirror Relationship set)

Volume1_src to volume3_dest → Mirror AND Vault fails (Mirror and Vault Relationship set)

regards,
Sebastian

Badge +15

@Sebastian Kupka can you run the following command on your DR Cluster on the (destination) volume 3 and paste the output? 

snapmirror show VOLUME3 -fields policy, type , healthy , last-transfer-error

Badge +2

@Sebastian Kupka can you run the following command on your DR Cluster on the (destination) volume 3 and paste the output? 

snapmirror show VOLUME3 -fields policy, type , healthy , last-transfer-error

this is what we get. red marked the desired volume. we have a different naming than the example before.

::> snapmirror show -fields policy,type,last-transfer-error
source-path            destination-path    type policy     last-transfer-error
---------------------- ------------------- ---- ---------- -------------------
CIFS:Daten_CIFS_volume CIFS-DEST:cifs_dest XDP  XDPDefault -
CIFS:Daten_CIFS_volume CIFS-DEST:Daten_CIFS_volume_dest_mirror XDP MirrorAllSnapshots -
CIFS:Mirror_Vault      CIFS-DEST:Mirror_Vault_1_dest XDP MirrorAndVault -
3 entries were displayed.

Badge +2

last column - the relationship for our volume with both - mirror and volume enabled.

here the policy configuration

VAULT Copy is running fine

MIRROR is failing

Error Code: [13:226]
Description: Error occurred while replicating snaps [ kl_cdot1-cifs.cv.local:SP_2_177361_2389_1615821961], for storage policy [POLICY1] copy [MIRROR] MediaAgent [cv-cs-w2k12]: Backup Job [177361]. Failed to create replica snaps for primary snap job[177361] [Failed to prepare snapshot.].
Source: cv-cs-w2k12, Process: CVJobReplicatorODS

Failed to prepare snapshot. : [No relationships found that can be used to replicate snapshots on file server:[kl_cdot1-cifs.cv.local] for source volume:[Mirror_Vault].Please create a valid relationship if one doesn't exist or wait for data transfer to complete before retrying the operation.If SVM mapping is configured on secondary snapshot copy, file server relationship must conform to the mapping.]
Source: cv-cs-w2k12, Process: CVJobReplicatorODS

Badge

@Sebastian Kupka

For open replication, the SVM mapping configured on the secondary copy (Vault or Mirror) will be used to query SVM for the relationship details.

Same destination volume cannot be used as target for both Vault and Mirror. If you are referring to relationship of type MirrorVault, it behaves like a vault copy with an additional functionality of replicating the latest point-in-time of the source volume. So, for open replication relationship of type MirrorVault would behave like a Vault relationship.

As requested by @dude , if you could get the output on the secondary cluster, that would clarify the relationship type.

Badge +15

@Sebastian Kupka a few things I want to make sure we all are in the same page.

A few things from the image are not clear, for example: 

Is this kl_cdot1-cifs.cv.local your PROD/Primary Cluster Source of the Volume Snaps? Is so, good if not, that is why the error. Source Cluster should be used.

Can you make sure to test 

It seems to be that what you are trying to achieve is a Fan Out topology correct?

#1 - Fan Out Concept: One Volume to One or More Destinations 

How fan-out deployments work

#2 - Make sure the source volume and destination volume are using the same language type (UTF-8) and volume has sufficient space.

Refer to: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=19811.htm

#3 - From a Storage Policy point;

3.1 → Always use the Vault/Replica as it will work with Vault and Mirror. Source: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=33787.htm

3.2 → Make sure you specify the Source as the Primary Snapshot (In other words your Source Cluster for both Mirror and Vault Copies. 

3.3 → In addition to the above, make sure to add the SVM where the volume resides as part of the Vault/Replica copy.

1. → Make sure that you have no Aux Copies Schedule running so you give time to run one at a time.

I have seen similar issues where the SVM was not correctly added as 3.3 states AND language issues as well.

The integration between Commvault and Netapp is very smooth and most of the time the issue will be on the NetApp site. I would try to create small volumes for testing as that can be a bit easier on the troubleshooting process and faster as well since the replication will be shorter.