Solved

o365 How to exclude SharePoint assigned users ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hello to all!

In a fresh Commvault installation for o365 backup, I’m trying to find the way to manual exclude some user licenses from SharePoint online!

From the first time when configured the SharePoint online, automatically assign all the o365 users to SharePoint Online license (from Application User Licenses tab).

From Command Center Im available to manual exclude users from Exchange and also OneDrive, but I cant find a way to exclude users from SharePoint online. In order to save some user licenses :)

Any idea ?

icon

Best answer by Sean Crifasi 20 August 2021, 20:03

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Nikos.Kyrm !  I’m looking into this, asking some of our internal staff.

I’ll keep you posted!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm 

I am investigating this further as I currently have a similar incident I am discussing with development.

Regards,
Sean

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

@Nikos.Kyrm 

Are you looking to exclude particular domains entirely or only specific users?

If you are looking to exclude particular users you may need to create a new subclient and configure the desired content. I will double check this and follow up tomorrow if I can find any additional clarifying information for this scenario if we are looking to exclude specific users.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

@Nikos.Kyrm 

Are you looking to exclude particular domains entirely or only specific users?

If you are looking to exclude particular users you may need to create a new subclient and configure the desired content. I will double check this and follow up tomorrow if I can find any additional clarifying information for this scenario if we are looking to exclude specific users.

Dear @Sean Crifasi , thanks for your reply.

Yes, Im looking to exclude specific users (from same domain) in order to save some licenses but there isnt an option, like Exchange and OneDrive that you are able to manual exclude the users from Commvault that they listed.

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Nikos.Kyrm 

This tells you how its calculated and ways to reduce.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/125430_office_365_sharepoint_in_usage_calculation.html

Thanks,

Chris 

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm 

I confirmed in my meeting today, the method to exclude individual users from sharepoint is as follows.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

@Nikos.Kyrm

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/125430_office_365_sharepoint_in_usage_calculation.html

Thanks,

Chris 

Hello Cris, 

So, in order to reduce some Commvault SharePoint online licenses for some users isn't possible from Commvault side. From what I understand, the only way is through Azure portal, right?

"The software calculates license consumption based on the number of users assigned to the SharePoint Online License in the Office 365 Admin Portal"

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm 

I confirmed in my meeting today, the method to exclude individual users from sharepoint is as follows.

Dear @Sean Crifasi ,

Actually, I don't want to exclude SharePoint sites from the backup. 

I'm looking the way to exclude some SharePoint license for some users. Because by default all the o365 users seems to consume a Commvault license (from license report) and I haven't get  way to exclude some. In opposite in Exchange online and OneDrive is quite easy to exclude users (from command center) .

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@Nikos.Kyrm

Thanks,

Chris 

Hello Cris, 

So, in order to reduce some Commvault SharePoint online licenses for some users isn't possible from Commvault side. From what I understand, the only way is through Azure portal, right?

"The software calculates license consumption based on the number of users assigned to the SharePoint Online License in the Office 365 Admin Portal"

Correct we pull the calculation straight from your Azure side. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

@Nikos.Kyrm

Thanks,

Chris 

Hello Cris, 

Correct we pull the calculation straight from your Azure side. 

Dear @Chris ,

Is this possible to inform me how to exclude some users from the Azure SharePoint?

I mean the steps from the SharePoint online that I have to follow.

Thank you in advance.

Nick

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hello all,

So, the steps in order to save some Commvault Application Users licenses (from o365 SharePoint online), is through SharePoint admin center ?

If yes, what are these steps ?

Thank you in advance.
Nick

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello Nick,

I am looking into this and reviewed the licensing documentation provided earlier… Specifically the following 2 lines:

• The software calculates license consumption based on the number of users assigned to the SharePoint Online License in the Office 365 Admin Portal.

• If automatic discovery of SharePoint users is enabled and a user is removed, then the user is removed automatically from the calculation of Application Users in the License Summary Report.

Is automatic discovery of SharePoint Users enabled? Although this is an external link outside of Commvault, I came across the following site that may help with what you are trying to accomplish:

How to properly deactivate a user in Office 365 and SharePoint:

https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-properly-deactivate-a-user-in-office-365-and-sharepoint/

Can you try to remove the licenses from one of the users you are looking to exclude and see how everything looks on the Commvault side?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi,

I have the same issue but do not understand this...

• If automatic discovery of SharePoint users is enabled and a user is removed, then the user is removed automatically from the calculation of Application Users in the License Summary Report.

Where can I configure this option?

Kind Regards

Florian

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@flokaiser 

There is no option to enable or disable this. It occurs automatically. When a backups runs a discovery is performed at the beginning of each backup which detects users enabled/disabled, etc

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Ok, we deleted a user in the beginning of the month in the Azure AD but the user is still licensed in commvault and we are running a backup every day.