Solved

One-Drive failed files in WFS backup

• 14 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Hi Team,

In Windows FS backup, i’m getting more failed files for one particular path which have one-drive to that.

Example - Path: [C:\Users\username\OneDrive - ABCcompany Ltd\Desktop\Sample.docx] [0x18B 395] Access to the cloud file is denied.

It is showing error code as “Access to the cloud file is denied.”

Please let me know what we need to check on this.

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 14 April 2021, 08:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi Team,

In Windows FS backup, i’m getting more failed files for one particular path which have one-drive to that.

Example - Path: [C:\Users\username\OneDrive - ABCcompany Ltd\Desktop\Sample.docx] [0x18B 395] Access to the cloud file is denied.

It is showing error code as “Access to the cloud file is denied.”

Please let me know what we need to check on this.

I do not believe what you are asking can be done via a Windows File System Agent as it does File Only and will unlikely get all the files from OneDrive.  The OneDrive for Business Agent is the appropriate agent to protect those files.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Harsha 

To save on disk space, OneDrive stores the actual file data in the cloud and and the local disk retains a link to the file which is downloaded on-demand. 

OneDrive Files On-Demand Feature in Windows 10.

If you encounter the “Access to the cloud file is denied” error message, this means that file does not exist on the local disk, and the OneDrive Files-On-Demand driver is declining to download this file on-demand for backup to read it.

There are a couple of options you have here:

1- Considering these files are already stored in cloud, you might consider an exclusion for OneDrive files on local disks: Excluding Content from Backups using Windows Filesystem Agent. With a local exclusion, you may need to consider protection for these files in the cloud instead with Commvault Microsoft Office 365 Backup.

2- Disable the Files-On-Demand feature so that all cloud files are also retained on local disk. However, this will of course increase disk use locally and increase endpoint backup size.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

@Stuart Painter Thankyou Stuart, I’m checking the Files On-Demand feature.