Solved

Oracle RAC 19.0.0.0 restore failed with sysbackup user

• 18 May 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi all,

when I perform a restore from Commvault with a user configured as "sysbackup" I get a "logon denied" error:

#******DATA RESTORE SCRIPT******#
run {
allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt_tape' connect user/33c75edba964cf91c4a814f4b013056c1f391bec0d266622e@CDB021_BCK
PARMS="SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/commvault/Base/libobk.so, BLKSIZE=1048576 ENV=(CV_mmsApiVsn=2,CV_channelPar=ch1)"
TRACE 0;

#******** READINESS REPORT *********# 

Agent Install Check:[OK]

Database Check:[FAILED]
    Oracle reported the following error: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied.

RMAN SBT Channel Check:[FAILED]
    [ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied]

RMAN Catalog Check:[OK]

Destination Storage Check:[OK]

I believe the problem is in the Rman script. In fact, in the restore Rman script there is no "as sysbackup" as in the backup script:

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
run {
allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt_tape' connect 'user/33c75edba964cf91c4a814f4b013056c1f391bec0d266622e@CDB021_BCK as sysbackup'
PARMS="SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/commvault/Base/libobk.so, BLKSIZE=1048576 ENV=(CV_mmsApiVsn=2,CV_channelPar=ch1)"
TRACE 0;

I tried to restore manually by adding the option "as sysbackup" to the "allocate channel ..." line and the restore works correctly with the "sysbackup" user.

Obviously if in the "connect string" I configure a "sysadmin" user everything works correctly even from Commvault.

icon

Best answer by Edd Rimmer 28 May 2021, 11:51

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey Gabriele,

Thanks for your post. I’d like to get a few facts from you please to help me assist - can you confirm:

• CV Version
  • Is SCAN used for the RAC
  • Can you connect via SQL*Plus from each RAC node to each other RAC node as the user
  • Which documentation steps are you following for this restore procedure.
  • Are you able to provide a screenshot of the connection strings on the destination configured.

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Edd Rimmer ,

• CV Version

• Can you connect via SQL*Plus from each RAC node to each other RAC node as the user

Yes

• Are you able to provide a screenshot of the connection strings on the destination configured.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey Gabriele,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this!

Are you solely running this restore from the command line? Have you tried a console launched restore job and if so does this perform as expected?

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Edd Rimmer ,

the error highlighted is the result of a restore performed from the console.
What you see is the RMAN log that is triggered during the restore phase from the console.
The test performed manually were made to verify the possibility of using a user with SYSBACKUP permissions, and in fact if I manually add "as sysbackup" to the RMAN script the restore works correctly.
The problem as already highlighted above is that the script generated by the Commvault console executes the command without specifying "as sysbackup" and consequently goes into error:

[ORA-01017: invalid username / password; logon denied]

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey @Gabriele Palumbo,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE is set to please?

There should be no need to have the ‘as sysbackup’ in the RMAN script allocate command as this should be being done when first starting the rman session.

If a password file is in use, have you checked it’s ok across the instances?

Thanks
Edd

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Gabriele Palumbo !  Following up to see if you were able to go through @Edd Rimmer ‘s advice above.

Let us know if this issue is resolved or if you have further questions. thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Gabriele Palumbo , hoe all is well!

Following up before marking this as resolved.

Wanted to see if you were able to go through @Edd Rimmer ‘s advice above.

Let us know if this issue is resolved or if you have further questions. thanks!

Hi Team/ @Edd Rimmer @Mike Struening ,

Could you please guide me if we are changing our “sysbackup” password for oracle instances - how do we update on all the instances at one shot? or we have to manually place the password on each instance properties? Kindly assist.