Solved

Perform backup of the VM where the VSA function is running

• 22 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

I have a Commvault environment where I have 3 VSAs installed and added to the Virtual Server instance to backup and restore my VMs in my virtualized environment. The backup and restore of the VMs works flawlessly except the backup of the VMs with VSA function which throws the following error: 

“Proxy virtual machine is unable to backup itself”

How can I backup VMs with VSA function? I see that if of the 3 VSAs I have the same one fails.

Could someone tell me how to do it?

Thank you very much!

icon

Best answer by MichaelCapon 22 July 2021, 13:07

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello Eduardo,

If you really want to protect the VSA Proxies then I would suggest creating a Subclient for each, then you can specify the Proxy for that Subclient to the other proxies (Advanced Options tab):

Here’s a documentation page which covers this (Although for Nutanix), the principle is the same: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=31630.htm

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello Eduardo,

It’s completely customer’s choice here, You can protect it if you’d like to. If you are using Deduplication then it’s not likely to cause much back end data consumption.

- Just make sure the VSA Proxies Backups don’t run at times other VM backups are running, to avoid issues.

In some cases customers deem it is not necessary, since it is easy to spin up a Windows VM or deploy the FREL Image relatively quickly.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +3

Hello Eduardo,

If you really want to protect the VSA Proxies then I would suggest creating a Subclient for each, then you can specify the Proxy for that Subclient to the other proxies (Advanced Options tab):

Here’s a documentation page which covers this (Although for Nutanix), the principle is the same: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=31630.htm

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you very much for your quick response, is it normal to backup VSAs, is it a good practice or is it not a normal thing to do and even more so if I have several VSAs?