Solved

Permission to allow webconsole view on a client

• 8 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

I need to know the minimum permission to be able to see a server in a user webconsole please?

I see “end user access” in a role’s permissions, but clicking it + view permission is not enough (and associating this role with the client)

I can allow this access by setting the user as owner of the client, but is there a possibility through roles please? It would be more easy and efficient for me to manage it at this level.

Thans in advance.

Regards.

icon

Best answer by Kcsaby 8 June 2021, 22:01

View original

8 replies

Badge +2

For a user to be able to see a client in webconsole as a server - the user needs to be 1) the owner of the client or 2) allowed to had view access at the client level or group level.

If the user is the owner - that user have full rights to the client.

If you give the user view access - the user would be able to see the client but not able to do anything to the client. like backup or restore a job.

If there is something that you are looking to allow a user to do then other permission would then be needed 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Tried global/view permission at the client group level or client level, explicitely on the user or through a user group or through roles: does not work

I find only owner working.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@f-red 

In webconsole, the user must be an owner of the machine in order to see in under My Data. In Command Center the least permission needed is View.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Ok, thanks for precision.

My initial question was about webconsole, so now i understand.

Is there a mean to make a user owner at the client group level? So i wouldn’t have to set it in every client computer of a client computer group?

I ask these questions as i have to “industrialize” the most as possible.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@f-red 

There is no way to add a Client Computer group as owner of a machine. They only thing that you can do is to run a Command line script that will assign a user as an owner to all of the machines that are in a group.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=45343.htm

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Ok, i’ve already heard about some kind of additional settings allowing to consider the user as the owner, do you know it?

The trick would be to set this additional setting at the client group level eventually?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@f-red 

There is an additional  setting that well allow user groups to be added as owners, you can find that here in our doucmentation.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=41251.htm

But this is for laptop and not file servers, and it will add the member of these groups to all of the machines not just particular ones.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Well, i’ve read with attention this doc link which is interesting, but it is related to commserv additional setting, so too much global for me.

The real solution for me would be to use real tenants, i can’t change it for now, so i try things to manage multiple customers contexts through client computer groups per customer, and set user groups / roles / settings to isolate, so my main customer unit here is a client computer group, the reason why i asked for this.

So, i think i have all details about ownership, and understand i will be obliged to manage it at the client level.

Thanks.

Regards.