Solved

Plattform support for XCP-ng

Badge +3

As I don’t see a proper place for feature requests (but I’ve somehwen seen already someone asking it for): Can I expect Commvault to support XCP-ng anytime “soon”?

https://xcp-ng.org/ is an improved fork of Citrix Hypervisor which has been very focussed on VDI only and heavily ignores needs of general virtualization environments. Citrix has been markedly ignoring any feature requests that have been made towards needed functions.

XCP-ng is growing, has an active community, bugtracker and developers but yet it has a small ecosystem of large enterprise backup solutions like Commvault.

I really would like to switch over, use that plattform and support them by that - but yet Commvaults supportlist denies that.

XCP-ng also uses XAPI and should be very closed for whatever Commvault comes in tough with.

A while ago I just tried feeding it with XCP-ng, but it denied it as an unkown or unsupported Version.

Regards

- Christof

icon

Best answer by Joe 6 October 2022, 21:19

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @CGI 

Thanks for the question!

You are correct, XCP-ng is not currently supported, so let me follow up your request internally with our Development teams to see what plans there are or if anything is already on the roadmap for XCP-ng.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @CGI 

Here is the list of supported versions for Xen Server:
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/3302_system_requirements_for_virtual_server_agent_with_citrix_hypervisor_xenserver.html

The team here have informed me that unfortunately, there are no plans currently to support open source XCP-ng.

However, if you have a specific project and would like to discuss supportability, please reach out to your account representative to discuss options.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +3

Hi Stuart!

I’m sad Commvault doesn’t plan that. I’ll follow your advice, but in the end it probably means: I either stick with Citrix or have to replace our Commvault environment. Not what I hoped for, but what I expected.

Regars

- Christof

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@CGI , I’ll reach out to your Account Rep on your behalf so you can see what options you have.

Badge +3

He probably still needs to find out. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Have you heard from them yet?  I didn’t see an update, but they may have reached out by phone.

I’ll follow up on my side as well :blush:

Badge +3

I got an E-Mail today, will give him a call and find out “what’s in”.

(Seems he’s busy right now, will try later or tomorrow again)

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the reply here (and to my e-mail) @CGI !!

I’ll keep an eye out for an update.

Badge +3

So sadly there is currently no real option. I either have to stay with Citrix or replace our Commvault environment.

Only current option would be: Install an agent into every VM and for that. Absolutely no realistic option.

Finding out if more (possible) customers do want XCP-ng support und by thus giving it enough priority, seems the only way to get it working.

I already tried to just connect it, but it failed telling me the version is not supported. It obviously checks the Hypervisor version through XAPI.

It’s especially sad, as XCP-ng and XS/CH are based on the same XAPI, which means:

What’s working on XS/CH should also working on XCP-ng without any changes.

I’m not happy with Citrix and their roadmap. Will see how to fix that, when I get the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the full load of details, @CGI .  Definitely wish there was an easier path.

Badge +1

It looks like support did end up getting added for XCP-ng 8.2. Reference: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/96253_system_requirements_for_virtual_server_agent_with_citrix_xen_02.html

Badge +3

Sadly I didn’t get a poke from your reply, but I’ve also accidently noticed the added support. I doubt it was much work, as it’s 100 % API compatible (yet).

I’ve prepared a test environment and: It indeed works, I successcully connected, found VMs, backed them up and restored them. Neat: Citrix Vendor Lock-in removed and a fully OSS project supported. Will most likely make use out of it and migrate.

Edit: I can’t change your post to “the answer”, which ould be neat, if someone stumbles over this.