Solved

Report for no vm backup

• 16 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hi all,

we have the situation that we must backup hyper- cluster enviroment and some vms have vhds disks attached. 

As we know vms with vhds disks attached are not allowed to backup. 

We create 2 Subclients:

1 → Manually selection of all vms with vhdx discs only

2 → Manaully selection of vms with system disc ( vhdx ) and exclude of vhds discs

Now we have the problem that new created vms are not backup automaticcly. When we create an 3 subclient with the content of all unproteced vms it could be that new created vms with vhds are backuped and we went into trouble. 

My 2 Questions:

1 do you know any filter possibility for rthe vhds disks ?

2 Is it possible to create an report for this cluster that reports all vms wich are not backuped or included in the 2 subclients ? 

regards Sebastian

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 18 March 2021, 15:41

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @SSchmidt 

Thanks for the question.

Please take a look at Add Disk Filter to see if this provides the functionality you need to filter out vhds disks.

You may be able to assign VM content to certain subclients using rules where you have filters defined. This really depends on the VMs being protected and if they (and future VMs) fit to a set of rules.

As for reports, there are a few available on CommvaultStore that will help:

Virtual Machine Protection Report

VM Backup Coverage Report

VM Backup Report

Virtual Machine Infrastructure Report

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Hey Stuart,

thanks for your reply. But i mean another thing. 

As you know you have the preview button in the subclient for vsa. If you push the preview button you see which vms are backuped. Is it possible to generate an automatic report about this ? To get an report which vm per subclient is backuped ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@SSchmidt , the reports @Stuart Painter mentioned ashould cover those needs.  Can you let me know which report comes the closest and what it lacks and I can look into options or CMRs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If I’m understanding this correctly, the intention is to trigger a report to show VM backup status for each VM in a VSA job as soon as it completes?

So, we should look at either

• triggering an alert on VSA job completion with VM status (may end up with many alerts)
  • triggering a report to run on VSA job completion with VM status for that job

If I’m understanding the requirement correctly?

The reports I mentioned earlier will provide VM backup status and can be filtered by subclient I believe, but provide a snapshot in time of now instead of based on a particular job.

Thanks,

Stuart