Solved

Requirements for CommServe Livesync

Badge +2

Hi Team, 

I want to implement Commserve livesync for my existing Commserve Server.

I am completely new to CommVault, so kindly help to understand the concept and also the requirement for the Commserve livesync

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 7 June 2021, 08:15

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Fowroz Khan , hope all is well!

Wanted tos ee if you had any further questions.  If not, mark whichever response you felt wa sthe most helpful as the Best Answer (or I can).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fowroz Khan here’s the breakdown:

• Client Name: Display name for the client
  • Host Name: Generally the FQDN of that client for communication
  • Commserve host name: Generally the FQDN of the Commserve for communication
Badge +2

Hi @Stuart Painter ,

I want to know the difference between the Client name, Host name and CommServe Host Name.

It is confusing, i am not sure what to enter in those fields?

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

It is mentioned in the documentation, that is why I am get confused?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

You shouldn’t need to take this step, simply follow the installation steps, run the setup wizard and it should take care of this for you.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

How can i enable multi instance in my production host to install additional failover package.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

Please follow the documentation steps from Setting Up CommServe LiveSync for An Existing CommServe. All the details and steps you need are there.

If you follow the documentation steps, the installation wizard will also guide through the process.

Steps from Setting Up CommServe LiveSync for An Existing CommServe:

Step 1: Plan for CommServe LiveSync Setup
Step 2: Upgrade the Existing (Production) CommServe Host to the Most Recent Feature Release
Step 3: Install the CommServe Failover Package on the Production CommServe Host
Step 4: Install the Standby CommServe Host
Step 5: Verify the Default Setup
Step 6: Enable the LiveSync Operations
Step 7: Verify Disaster Readiness (Optional)

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

I already have Production host installed, and i need to install standby host,

so what i need is in production host what i need to install additionally to make it ready for Commserver Livesync and in standby host what i need to choose in the list of packages for this DR setup.

I checked the document, but it somewhat i am not able to understand, i am request you to explain it in your own words, it is very understandable and easy to ask doubt’s in that.

Regards 

Fowroz

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

The sync between Commserves isn’t direct between the 2 Commserves.

The active Commserve performs a SQL backup, using a designated storage policy and MA.

That backup data is then restored from the MA to the passive Commserve(s).

So, both Commserves need to communicate with eachother (to facilitate failover), but they both also need to be able to communicate with the MA for backups and restore.

You will also need to consider that if a failover is performed, the entire Commcell environment will need to communicate with either Commserve.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

Media Agents for backup/restore, that will be fine.

I didn’t get you regarding the above comment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

So long as both Commserves can communicate with eachother and the Media Agents for backup/restore, that will be fine.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

Is it Ok, that Production host IP is 192.168.1.xxx and Standby host IP is 10.10.10.xxx ,

both are in different subnet IP’s but both are reachable each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

So long as the servers meets the CommServe Server: System Requirements, the implementation of physical or virtual is up to you.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Team,

Shall I implement my Standby server in VM environment or i need to go for physical server

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fowroz Khan , that statement is referring to the 2 servers that will act as production and standby for the live sync; they both need to have valid SQL iDA licenses.

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

I need a clarification for the below indicated part. What is it mean ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

You don’t need to install any licenses or SQL clients, just follow the documented steps to install Commserve LiveSync and the individual components and client instances will be installed, all part of the process.

Getting Started with CommServe LiveSync Setup

To get started with CommServe Live Sync, choose a deployment method based on your existing environment:

If you are ...

Refer to ...

Setting up a new CommServe server with the CommServe Live Sync feature for Disaster Recovery

Setting Up a New CommServe With CommServe LiveSync

Setting up a CommServe Live Sync feature in an existing CommServe server

Setting Up CommServe LiveSync for An Existing CommServe

Upgrading an existing High Availability Standby CommServe setup

Upgrading An Existing High Availability Standby CommServe Setup

Upgrading an existing Failover Monitor setup

Upgrading An Existing Setup With Failover Monitor

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +2

Hi Stuart,

Thank you very much for the response.

How can i install SQL client license in my Passive Commserve and what are all I need to install in my existing Active commserve and what i need to install in my passive commserve?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Fowroz Khan 

Thank you for the question and welcome to the Community!

Commserve LiveSync for HA DR is a mechanism to protect the Commserve in the event of a disaster.

The requirements are a 2nd Commserve server and licenses for 2 SQL clients to perform the sync, details are shown in Planning for CommServe LiveSync Setup.

Essentially, you would have the active Commserve synced with one or more passive Commserves using SQL agents that perform a scheduled backup of active Commserve and restore into passive Commserve SQL databases.

You can perform test failovers to demonstrate operations on passive Commserve or planned production failovers to move the active Commserve role to a passive Commserve. 

An unplanned failover is performed when active Commserve is unavailable for any reason, so active role is failed over and a passive Commserve becomes active.

Thanks,

Stuart