Solved

Restore of virtual machine on Tape library-error

• 14 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

I have commvault backup server and two media agents, one media agent installed on backup server and other installed on a special machine. I have installed vsa server and FRE server separately on each machine on Citrix virtualization.

Before the backup of the virtual machine was placed on a media agent that is on citrix virtualization.

I have now backed up the virtual machine successfully but to the Tape library via another media agent.

When I do a restore from a virtual machine I have an error

Best regards,
Elizabeta

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 14 October 2021, 16:16

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@elizabeta , whatever Media Agent you are using needs the VSA installed.  

Here’s the docs link and section:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.21/expert/30829_automatic_configuration_of_mediaagent_as_linux_file_recovery_enabler_frel.html

The machine must have both MediaAgent and Virtual Server Agent packages installed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s right!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @elizabeta !

This is happening because the MA lacks the Virtual Server Agent, so the workflow conveniently runs the install, however it failed.

Can you run a manual install of the VSA on that Media Agent, and if it fails, give me the error message and log excerpts?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Mike Struening thanks for explaining and documentation link. I would like to ask next question.

To back up virtual machines I need:
-a media agent (which will have Virtual Server Agent agent package installed on it and Media agent), 
 -VSA Virtual Server Agent (a machine on which only a Virtual Server Agent will be installed) and
 -FREL (File Recovery Enablers for Linux) (a machine which have Media agent installed on it and The Logical Volume Management (LVM) package must be installed on the File Recovery Enabler MediaAgent to enable browsing files and folders on UNIX VMs.)

Is this correct thinking?

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

Backup VM completed successufully on this media agent. When I do Browse and Restore Full VM, it works without problems.

But, when I do restore just one file

an error occurs

I did previous VM backups and there was no problem. The whole server is installed as a separate machine and not on the media agent I used to back up before.

There may be a problem with the FREL machine (File Recovery Enabler for Linux) because granular restore does not work.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @elizabeta , not sure if you saw this:

Can you run a manual install of the VSA on that Media Agent, and if it fails, give me the error message and log excerpts?

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hello,

@Mike Struening I saw your reply, but that media agent where they would install everything is in production ..
In the current configuration, everything is installed on the Xen environment as a separate server, so is the FREL server and media agent.

Should in this case VSA be installed as a separate server, also FREL??

Thank you!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

​​​​​​​