Solved

SIMCallWrapper issues with parameter -ConnectionInfo

• 23 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi All,

I’m working on a decoupled image template (FR20) that we want to register using SIMCallWrapper after deployment using a script.

In this scenario, The comms to the CS must go via a Network Gateway Proxy.

Whenever we use the “-ConnectionInfo” parameter with SIMCallWrapper, We get error output: “Invalid arguments received”.

Using the same format as documentation: [-ConnectionInfo GatewayHostname:Port].
Ref: Registering the Client Using the Command Line (commvault.com)

See below example:

SIMCallWrapper.exe -OpType 1000 -CSHost CSHOSTNAME -CSNAME CSNAME -clientName CLIENTNAME -ClientHostName CLIENTHOSTNAME -authcode AUTHCODE -overwriteClientInfo -output C:\install\install.xml -ConnectionInfo PROXYHOSTNAME:8403

I have managed to work around this issue by manually adding a rule to communicate to the CS via Proxy to the FwConfigLocal file, then removing “-ConnectionInfo” parameter from the SIMCallWrapper command to register the Client successfully.

Wondering if anyone has also seen this with the “-ConnectionInfo” parameter?

Thanks & Regards,

Michael

icon

Best answer by MichaelCapon 17 May 2021, 10:47

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @MichaelCapon 

Thanks for the question, I’ve run some searches and whilst I do see some recent support cases for client registration and SimCallWrapper, there is nothing out of the ordinary and these represent wide variety of issues and nothing specific or related to your experience.

Perhaps if we were to review CvInstallMgr.log or SimCallWrapper.log, CVD.log or cvfwd.log (the usual suspects :grin: ) these may reveal more details or an avenue to pursue.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @MichaelCapon , following up to see if you had a chance to share the log files (or review on your own):

CvInstallMgr.log or SimCallWrapper.log, CVD.log or cvfwd.log (the usual suspects :grin: ) as @Stuart Painter  called them!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @MichaelCapon , following up to see if you were able to resolve this one (and how).

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Mike Struening , Sorry for the delay in responding!

At the time of the issue I checked those but SimCallWrapper didn’t seem to accept the command string when providing -ConnectionInfo parameter. I couldn’t find anything in the logs either.

If I get time in the future, I might re-visit this and test it again further. For now, the workaround of local fwconfig rules works on Linux/Windows image deployments.

Thanks & Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

No apologies need, especially considering how often you help everyone out :nerd:

I’ll mark your last reply as the Best Answer, though I can always unmark if need be.

Thanks again!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@MichaelCapon what is the reason that you are using an decoupled installation method? if you would create a package and just execute setup.exe than you can use the following flags to add the client to the CommCell using a network gateway in between the communication path

setup.exe /silent /play /authcode /fwtype 2 /cshostname /csclientname /proxyhostname /proxyclientname /tunnelport 8403 /plan 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=116126.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks for the reply Onno,

The reason was that we wanted to have a decoupled VM template image ready to deploy, using Powershell to deploy and register the VM. - I will also consider that as an option when re-visiting this, likely when we need a new image with later LTS  Feature Releases.

Best Regards,

Michael