Solved

SQLBackupMaster Node Preferences?

• 12 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Is there an option \ additional setting to specify one or more preferred nodes for the SQLBackupMaster process?

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 12 October 2021, 08:18

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Nice name @EraseAndReuseMedia haha.. 

Unfortunately no, there is no option to do this, believe we used to have the ability to specify it manually in version 10 however that is now deprecated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @EraseAndReuseMedia 

For the benefit of the Community, this looks like you’re configuring Always On MSSQL Availability Group.

A pseudo client is configured to represent the group, with the physical node clients added to the AG Client.

However, there is no way to highlight any particular node(s) as preferred.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

However, there is no way to highlight any particular node(s) as preferred.

Thank you Stuart. 

That is disappointing. We have geographically distributed SQL Availability Groups for Disaster Recovery purposes. Having the remote SQL Node(s) function as the SQLBackupMaster during normal operations is disadvantageous, particularly for SQL Availability Groups with high frequency transaction log backup requirements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree with @Chris Hollis , nice name!!

This sounds like a valid CMR. Let me know if I understand your requirements:

You utilize Always on MSSQL Availably Groups.  Due to Disaster Recovery Requirements, your nodes are ion various geographical locations, so having one at random do the backups would be problematic.  As a result, you want to pick the most optimal node as the preferred server.

Is that correct?  I have to check if we do a ‘what node is the best choice at this moment’ check anyway, which negates the need to pick any as preferred, though I want to confirm your request first.

Thanks!

Badge +1

I agree with @Chris Hollis , nice name!!

This sounds like a valid CMR. Let me know if I understand your requirements:

You utilize Always on MSSQL Availably Groups.  Due to Disaster Recovery Requirements, your nodes are ion various geographical locations, so having one at random do the backups would be problematic.  As a result, you want to pick the most optimal node as the preferred server.

Is that correct?  I have to check if we do a ‘what node is the best choice at this moment’ check anyway, which negates the need to pick any as preferred, though I want to confirm your request first.

Thanks!

That looks correct.

We have multiple nodes in the primary location, and one (or more) in the secondary location. Where a node in the primary location is available, it would be preferable that the SQLBackupMaster process initiate from that node, rather than persisting on a node within the secondary location.