Solved

sudden increasing in quiescing warning issues; we upgraded Commserve to 11.22.17

• 18 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

This could be totally unrelated; however recently we upgraded our Commcell to 11.22.17 last week Thrusday; we pushed the MediaAgent and client upgrade this week on Monday; we are seeing increase VM level quiescing warning across  different customers; the only change that seem to have happened is upgrade of Commvault VADP proxy; I know quiescing process is outside of Commvault; and we are asking customer to check their VMWARE environment however it is a bit wired that this issue started occuring after the change we made at the proxy

icon

Best answer by Theseeker 18 May 2021, 07:36

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Theseeker 

I have briefly checked hotfixes available for 11.22 and found the latest MR available is 11.22.25 from May 12th.

Checking hotfixes for “quiesce” only shows one hit for a report hotfix:

VMs need attention health report may not show the correct quiesce error

Hotfixes in 11.22.25

However, this hotfix is included in 11.22.16, so this should already be installed if you have deployed 11.22.17.

Perhaps we could look into this in a little more detail if you are able to provide some error or log messages to specifically show the errors you are seeing?

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I raised it wiht Commvault support

As discussed on the remote session there was a change in FR22 where Commvault now performs another check to confirm if a VM has been quiesced during the snapshot creation, this check was not previously being performed before FR22 and once the snapshot with the quiese option enabled was created successfully we would mark the VM as quiesced.  Previously if the quiesce failed during snapshot creation in VMWare, the snapshot creation would fail and a new crash consistent snapshot operation would begin, this would then mean that this failure is sent to Commvault and we would mark the quiesce as failed. This was changed in VMware and if the quiesce fails the snapshot creation continues as a crash consistent snapshot rather then starting a new snapshot operation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Theseeker 

Great! I’m glad you got the information you needed.

I’ll go ahead and mark this thread answered by your reply.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Being an MSP; the troubleshooting approach I took with the customer is to ask them to try a manual quiesce in VMWARE and if it fails; call VMWARE support/system admin 

however for some customer manual quiescing works okay  although Commvault still fails

backup log show 

5176 3ec 05/30 19:11:15 4179440 CVMWareInfo::CreateVMSnapshot() - Creating Snapshot of VM [] Guid [5034c19b-29d9-107a-f0ba-e063a3d1824d] Quiesce VM file system=[ON]

5176 3ec 05/30 19:11:19 4179440 CVMWareInfo::CreateVMSnapshot() - Detected that VM [] snapshot [snapshot-22775] was not quiesced

however the manual quiescing does not show a failure (Vcenter 6.0); the vss writers were fine on the server and there were no error logs during the time when snapshot occured in event logs. 

See the vmware logs attached herewith.

Shall I raise this with Commvault support??

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Theseeker , yeah, I would suggest calling in an incident.  Share the case number here once you do :nerd: