Solved

Unable to disable MS SQL Snap Backup

• 5 October 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hello guys, I’m running a MS SQL backup via VM in Nutanix and even I disabling the Intellisnap in the client everytime a backup start a backup of snap start to run. I checked in the Command Center and in the configurations the Intellisnap is disabled. My concern in this is because the license of snap is being applied and I don’t want to.

Is there something that I can do to disable permanently to not use Intellisnap in this case?

icon

Best answer by Anthony Lordi 6 October 2021, 22:50

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @antonio ,

Can you confirm what you are seeing for the Snap license here?

As per the Documewntation: “Application backups that are performed as a part of a VSA application-aware backup require the Hardware Snapshot Enabler license.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=14246.htm https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=14246.htm

- I suspect this is because the Application Level backup has a dependency on the VM’s Snapshot taken in the VM Backup Job.

If this is what is causing you trouble, To avoid the consumption of the “Hardware Snapshot Enabler” License, You’d have to Backup the VM using standard Backup (non-AppAware) and protect the SQL DB using the MSSQL Agent.

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @antonio ,

Can you confirm what you are seeing for the Snap license here?

As per the Documewntation: “Application backups that are performed as a part of a VSA application-aware backup require the Hardware Snapshot Enabler license.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=14246.htm https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=14246.htm

- I suspect this is because the Application Level backup has a dependency on the VM’s Snapshot taken in the VM Backup Job.

If this is what is causing you trouble, To avoid the consumption of the “Hardware Snapshot Enabler” License, You’d have to Backup the VM using standard Backup (non-AppAware) and protect the SQL DB using the MSSQL Agent.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi @MichaelCapon, the backup of MS SQL is running using AppAware and a SQL Agent was installed the first time when it ran the first job when I inserted the credentials in the subclient.

Do you know, if I disable the backup at AppAware level, the backup of MS SQL Agent will be applied at VM level or no?

Thanks, :relaxed:

Badge +15

Hi @MichaelCapon, the backup of MS SQL is running using AppAware and a SQL Agent was installed the first time when it ran the first job when I inserted the credentials in the subclient.

Do you know, if I disable the backup at AppAware level, the backup of MS SQL Agent will be applied at VM level or no?

The answer is no.

Why dont you have a SQL Agent installed on this VM and separate your backups approprietely. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi @MichaelCapon, the backup of MS SQL is running using AppAware and a SQL Agent was installed the first time when it ran the first job when I inserted the credentials in the subclient.

The answer is no.

Why dont you have a SQL Agent installed on this VM and separate your backups approprietely. 

Well, as I am MSP if I install the Agent at SQL Agent the license will applied as a physical server, and in this case the MS SQL is installed in a VM, that’s why the idea was not to use a snap license, only application license in this case.

Badge +15

I do not fully understand the licensing from Commvault, it is very complicated from what I have seen. I guess you can still get the VM backed up but if you need a detailed restore from SQL in that case without the AppAware you would be empty handed. So :grimacing:

Badge +2

The answer is no.

Well, as I am MSP if I install the Agent at SQL Agent the license will applied as a physical server, and in this case the MS SQL is installed in a VM, that’s why the idea was not to use a snap license, only application license in this case.

Hello @antonio,

Installing the SQL agent on the VM will consume an Application Class 1 license no matter if Appaware backup is disabled or not. As the previous poster also mentioned disabling the backup at the appware the backup of MS SQL agent will not be applied to the VM level. Let us know if you still have further questions here!  

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The answer is no.

Hello @antonio,

Installing the SQL agent on the VM will consume an Application Class 1 license no matter if Appaware backup is disabled or not. As the previous poster also mentioned disabling the backup at the appware the backup of MS SQL agent will not be applied to the VM level. Let us know if you still have further questions here!  

Hello @Anthony Lordi,

Just to see if I understood right: if I install the MS SQL Agent in a VM, the license applied will be at level of Application for VM, right? Or installing the MS SQL Agent in the VM the license applied will be considered as the Agent is installed in a physical server? :thinking:

Badge +2

Yes @antonio I should be applied at the application level of the VM assuming that you have the “Commvault Complete Backup & Recovery for Virtual Environments’ license type
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/assets/pdf/commvault-complete-license-guide.pdf

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Thanks for the help guys, :grinning: