Solved

Upgrade SP16 to SP20 in a Multi tenant environment.

• 2 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

We want to upgrade SP16 to SP20 in a Multi tenant environment. We have about 10 customers and cannot upgrade the clients the same day. 
We want to upgrade the Commserve, media agents and the Network proxies. Does anyone have experience with this setup?

I am afraid after upgrading the Commserve to lose connection to the Media agent on  Customer site. 

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by sbhatia 5 April 2021, 08:41

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @CVbackup 

Thanks for the question and welcome to the Community!

There is no reason to expect a loss of connection to Media Agents in the customer environment.

Performing a Feature Release update will involve stopping services, applying the update and restarting services afterwards, so inevitably comms will go down during the update, but will be re-established afterwards.

Once the Commserve is updated, then Media Agents can be updated and lastly, clients.

Please take a look at best practice steps for Commcell Environment Updates and let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hello @CVbackup

Welcome to the Community. 

I'll suggest ensuring you upgrade the CS and MA on the same day. You can then perform the client upgrades as and when you go. 

You can create an individual client group for individual customers (considering you have multiple servers/laptops) and then based on the downtime you can push updates on that client group/s. 

The only thing to keep in mind is the Services will get restarted, so you do need the downtime as the communication will be lost during the upgrade but will auto come up. No Manual intervention would be needed. 

Badge +4

Hello

I must upgrade the Commserve first. Then I must upgrade the Network proxy server. 
We are using a cascaded network proxy. 
I am afraid when I am upgrading the network proxy to lose connection to the proxy/media agent on the customer site. SP16 software is very different from SP20, Installation of a SP16 filesystem client is totally different than installing a filesystem agent using SP20 in a multi-tenant CommCell. Do you have experience upgrading to SP20 in a multi-tenant CommCell? 
I have a bad feeling in doing it like this or do I worry too much? ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Agreed with everyone else, don’t think there’s anything to worry about.  You have a solid plan and order of events already!

Badge +4

Thanks you all for your help!