Solved

Using Immutable Storage Pools in Azure for Commvault Backup Target

• 25 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

We have a Commvault infrastructure running in Azure with all clients in Azure and we are thinking of converting the Azure storage accounts to be immutable, has anyone any experience of doing this?

I think that this will increase the amount of storage being used by a factor of between 2 and 3 but just wanted someone who had actual experience of doing this to comment on this?

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 25 October 2021, 22:11

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @davided !  Thank you for the post and welcome!

Are you concerned about the space usage by going to Azure immutable, or are you concerned about the impact of not having the option to prune off jobs as needed?  do you plan to increase your retention as a result?

I want to be sure I’m addressing your concern properly :nerd: .

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I think that this will increase the amount of storage being used by a factor of between 2 and 3 but just wanted someone who had actual experience of doing this to comment on this?

I have not done this in production yet, but have done it in a couple POCs.

Logically these should be your expectations based on a “30 day” retention:

Protected Retention        30 days
DDB Sealing                   30 days  (1 x Protected Retention)
SP Retention                   61 days  (2 x Protected Retention +1)
Immutable                       60 days  (2 x Protected Retention)
Max Size on Disk            90 days  (3 x Protected Retention)

Only “30 days” of data is ever guaranteed immutable.  It’s harder to explain why the 60 days immutability and 90 days on disk exist without walking through it on a whiteboard.

Note: Using a Commvault HyperScale appliance with Ransomware Protection and WORM, you can achieve an immutable disk storage target using only 1x the disk space.

Thanks,
Scott

Badge +1

Thanks Mike it really is the increase storage and the additional cost that is the concern, the retention periods of 35 days will stay the same.

Badge +1

Thanks Scott that is exactly what I needed perfect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Scott Moseman is a legend!