Solved

Virtual Operating Instances using TB license

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hello,

I have a question about calculation and usage TB license. We purchase 71 TB and 2000 Vm license. But now we are above our TB limit license. I understanded that all physical should use TB license and VM's should count under Protected Virtual Machines.

In our case we using Windows File agent to back-up some of VM's but they counted under TB license. Under the client properties i do see Virtual Machine Properties TAB, that mean that client discovered by VM, but still using TB license. here are some exapler:

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 6 October 2021, 13:54

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Egor Skepko 

If you protect a VM using the VSA agent, then this will count towards the VOI licenses you have available.

However, if you install an agent within a VM, then the application size for the agent will additionally count towards the TB capacity license you have.

You will need to uninstall the agent from the VM to release the capacity consumption.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

Hi  @Stuart Painter ,

But if i unistal windows file agent then i can not perform client backup. We are using client backup on vm because some of the vm's can not handel then snapshot.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Staline 

I found this in license guide,

Mixing license types (Per TB, socket, instance) As noted previously, all licensing implementations are centralized to a CommCell®, which is a central management hub for all Commvault software operations. While customers may operate more than one CommCell® for a variety of reasons, a single centralized management point is typical. Within a single CommCell®, a customer may not mix certain license types. Socket licensing may not co-exist with per-VM licensing, and operating instance licensing may not be mixed with ingested (or front-end) terabyte licensing. Further, when VM or socket licensing is present, all virtual machines must be licensed consistently in this chosen manner. No virtual machines in that case will be counted by Ingested Terabyte

The rule in yellow does its mean that all vm's counting under vm socket license, no matter what kind of back up are you running?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Egor Skepko 

The rule in yellow means that where VM or socket licenses are present, VM backups, e.g. those performed using VSA will always be counted towards the VM/socket license provision.

This is behaving as expected:

• VM VSA backup is being counted towards the VM license
  • Agent based backup (except App Aware) inside the VM is being counted towards capacity FET license

File System agent is not App Aware, so this is correctly consuming additional FET capacity license.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Stuart Painter 

That weird, because yestoday we had aurgao meeting with commvault and we spoked about license and they said no matter wat kind of back up if its vm its suppose to use virtual license. Anyway cheers for the answer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Good day @Egor Skepko ,

We may be able to shift your licensing to utilize our current state Virtual Operating Instance (VOI) metering (where a VM is a VM). 

While the VOI meter is the default for new customers, existing customers require a bit of validation including verifying you are running a version that supports the VOI meter (FR11.17+), that you are own a supported license method (CV-xx-VM10), your Protected Virtual Machine + Virtual Operating Instance meters < your purchased -VM10 licensing, and your CommCell is currently under a support contract.

I have reached out to your Commvault account manager, Bart, and will provide him with instructions on how to request this shift on your behalf.

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Stephen Gracon 

Thank you Stephen for your help, i wil wait till some one from commvault wil contact us and take a look to our situation. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Stephen Gracon 

I am trying to update out licence but i am getting error The amount of data to be protected [74.97 TB] exceeds the limit of [71 TB] for the [Data Protection Enterprise infrastructure] Capacity license.

I disabled one of the backup to get licence capacity to 64TB, but stil getting error when tryin to update licence.

If i wonna change licence trhough Java console, i need to go on Java Console Hom> Licencing and Registration>  Apply Licence> Add the new licence file> Apply. Right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Egor Skepko , you may have to run Data Aging for the amount to update, though I want to be sure you disabled backup activity at the subclient level, and are seeing the capacity reflected at 64 TB.

If you disable the backups at any other level, it won’t have any effect,

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Mike Struening 

Yes i disabled it at subclient level and after recalculation its dropped to 64TB from 74TB, and after Data aging i manage to update licence. Does it take sometime to see effect of update? Or how can check it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Running Data Aging is a good rule of thumb to enforce the changes you’ve made.  Since it runs daily anyway, you’re not likely to see any impact 99% of the time because you’d be within your range.  It’s only this time now that you noticed!

Userlevel 1
Badge +12

@Mike Struening @Stephen Gracon 

Its seem to be working. After recalculation again i see only NDMP and physiek clients using TB licence. Thank you for your help and support

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Anytime, @Egor Skepko !