Solved

Web Report Inconsistent

• 21 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello!

Our auditors use reports from Commvault to verify incidents in our incident system. Mainly they have been using PDF reports.
As of late we discovered some discrapancies in the reports. First it seems the number of pages created for a pdf differs even though the time frame is the same. We also discovered some naming and columns was changed in the reports. I think that both can be explained by that one: the PDF creator program might render the pages diffrently, Second: the naming and column change problaby was due to service pack upgrade.

I also discoverd that the number of protected object wasnt consistent in one of the reports, I had run it 3 times for verification. All other counters seems to be accurate. How can this be? The reports should be the same if all selection criteria are the same?

Anyone else experienced this?

Headings of the reports below.

BR Henke

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 December 2021, 23:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Henke , thanks for the post!

The first few observations are likely just as you said...the pdf conversion, though this warrants a further look.

The numbers being different, however, is something that requires attention from our dev team.

Can you create a case for this issue and share the incident number?  Misreporting of numbers is very problematic!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hey @Mike Struening , Case ID 211022-147

//Henke

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Henke !  I’ll keep an eye on it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing the solution:

When selecting any of the pre-stablished time frames (last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 4 weeks, last 3 months), it appear than the value of Protected Objects was fluctuating even though the report run 2 times consecutively with the same configuration.

I can confirm the above time frames (last 24 hours, last 7 days, last 4 weeks, last 3 months) are dependent on the current time, and therefore, even if the report is run twice consecutively, their time frame will slightly differ (as exposed on my previous example, let's say we run the report at 3:00AM, wait for completion and run the report again with the exact same settings, this times its time frame will start few minutes later for example 3:05AM). Due to this condition, we can expect the number of Protected Objects to not align since additional objects may have been backed up within that few minutes offset.

This condition can be overcome if a Custom time frame is configured to run the report, and the exact same times are provided in both reports.