Solved

What is CVODS.exe?

Badge +1

Hey Guys!

CVODS is not listed on “Descriptions of Services” - https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8569.htm

Doesn’t find anything helpful on google.

Can someone please explain me that process?

Thanks in advance

BR
Jan

icon

Best answer by Stogs 16 June 2021, 16:31

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi Jan,

CVODS is responsible for communicating with the AuxCopy process on source and destination MediaAgents to control auxiliary copy and DASH Copy operations. It controls auxiliary copy jobs and sends information about what is required to be copied.

Reference: Processes - On-Demand Learning Library - Confluence (atlassian.net)

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hello,

The CVODS binary is the ‘Commvault On Demand Service” process.

It’s used to start different services / processes within CV (Such as a Live Browse) and its perfectly normal to see one or more of these processes running, especially on media agents + the Commserve. 

I will request that Documentation be updated - not sure why this is missing from the list so thanks for bringing this to our attention :slight_smile: .

Regards
Edd

Badge +1

Thx guys!

I have on one HyperScale Node the problem that CVODS is on 100% CPU. But just on this node. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@HITS , is any Aux Copies running that might be assigned to that node?

Definitely worth checking the AuxCopyMgr.log file and sharing what you see.

From the referenced link:

CVODS

AuxCopyMgr.log

Responsible for communicating with the AuxCopy process on source and destination MediaAgents to control auxiliary copy and DASH Copy operations. It controls auxiliary copy jobs and sends information about what is required to be copied.

Badge +1

Yes aux copies. but that shouldnt be a problem. Also other Nodes which doing Auxcopies should than have a higher CVODS usage, but its just one Hyperscle 1.5. Node. Found many errors in the logs, will raise a ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You beat me to it @HITS !  Definitely get a case raised for this one and share the incident number with me so I can follow up.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @HITS , following up.  I couldn’t find a support case in your name, so let me know if you have a case number (and perhaps a solution?).

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @HITS , following up one more time before we consider this closed.  Did you find a solution on your own?  I searched again and am not seeing a case created in your name.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

CVODS can also be related to Indexing, more directly related to V2 Indexing. A bit of info on that below in link.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=8569.htm

CVODS.exe

This is an on-demand process that runs on MediaAgents and other clients. Responsible to run services on demand to perform a specific operation, and then goes down after an idle timeout.

The CVODS process run many services (such as CVJobReplicatorODS.exe and AuxCopy.exe) that include the following:

• IndexServer CVODS: Responsible for creating and maintaining index on the MediaAgent
  • LogManager CVODS: Responsible for managing the index logs created during any backup job.
Badge

root      688360  626969  0 Feb10 ?        00:02:47 /logi/cv/commvault/Base/CVODS -svcname CVODS_vscleanup_

is KiLLING us… CV MA hang occasionally.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @JediMaster ,

What is the full version please?

There might be a fix, did you check?

You can check the PID and then find it in our logs and then find the job id.

However I would recommend you log a case with us so we can create a Process Dump and check.

Best Regards,

Sebastien