Which option do you go for when installing Commvault software at DR site; Create or join existing CommCell. Or advanced option?

• 17 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

I have installed Commvault Software at Primary Site. And need to do the same at secondary site though for now the two sites are not yet connected.

During the install process I get to a point were I’m asked which installation option do I go for

1. Create a new commcell
  2. Join an existing Commcell
  3. Advanced Selection

Note: Currently Primary and Secondary sites are not yet linked.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @HarveyM ,

Are you installing a DR CommServe (for CS LiveSync) at the destination (secondary) site?
If so, here’s a Guide on this: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/106129_installing_standby_commserve_host.html

Note: You’ll need comms between the sites for the Failover Instance to register successfully with the CS.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +1

Thank you for the document @MichaelCapon .I plan to do a LiveSync after completing installation of fibre link between the two sites.

For now I just want to install software in advance at the DR site. Configurations can follow later.

Question is, do I create a new CommCell or should I go for the other option of an existing commCell

In othe words, are the primary and secondary sites under one commcell or seperate commcells?

Badge +1

Hi @HarveyM ,

you can select “Create a new Commcell”,  pick one from the Roles listed. Make sure you select “CommServe failover node” check box and proceed with the installation.

The other way is to select ‘Advanced selection’ in the Install Type screen , select the packages and you will get an option to pick the standby/active node in the ‘Failover Install Option’ screen.