Solved

Why status red

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Why is this marked as red (issue) in the admincinsole if the backup did run and completed successfully? (now it’s MAr 14, 5PM)

icon

Best answer by Bart 18 March 2021, 13:18

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Bart 

What is the feature release version you are running on? Reason for asking is that this particular functionality is being improved/enhanced as we speak. If you hover over the red text then it should display the root cause. Are you using FS agent level backup? These two are currently still connected so if there is an issue with FS it could become visible in Virtualization as well. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

11.22.13 .

The examples above are simple VM backups. So no agent.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

If I click on it (not hover, that doesn’t show anything), I see:

Details

Job ID...0...doesn’t make sense, but last successful backup is OK.
So it seems to be yet another bug.

Virtual Machines overview

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey  @Bart , can you let me know where you are seeing this exactly?  As @Onno van den Berg said, if this is being worked on now, there might be something in the works.

I have reached out to some resources internally, though any context you can provide will help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

within Admin center → Protect → virtualization:

In 11.21 this was working correctly as far as I remember

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Bart !  Can you confirm these virtual clients have plans associated to them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening based on his screenshot I would say that he is using storage policies/schedules. 

@Bart what do you see in the CommCell console if you examine the job history for one of the examples?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Thanks, @Bart !  Can you confirm these virtual clients have plans associated to them?

Yes and no.

We have agents with plans , and we have agents without plans, both giving the same problem.

Job history

the last backup field, as mentioned previously , also proves the backup did run:

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

they are really all wrong, and because of that, I’m 100% sure it was working fine with 11.21, and not with 11.22

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

also, one which DOES fail, doesn’t have that red status:

=> failing since Feb 9

=> Last backup is in black instead of “red”...

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Not sure if you already opened a ticket, but I think it is time to contact support! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Not sure if you already opened a ticket, but I think it is time to contact support! 

It’s commvault, so we opened hundreds of tickets already :grin:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Bart , definitely keep us posted.  I always try and bring the solution back to thread for posterity :selfie_tone3:

Edit: I found your case, so I’ll keep an eye on it as well, though feel free to update the thread before me!

Badge +1

I see this frequently in my environment if we have a subclient configured that doesn’t result in any VM’s being backed up. The snap job will show successful and the backup copy will show failed to start because there was nothing to copy.

For example: If I have a subclient configured to back up a certain datastore, but all of the VM’s on that datastore are excluded for whatever reason. The job still runs every day and shows successful, but nothing gets backed up, and the backup copy job shows “Failed to Start”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Kirk Brown I feel your pain! We have had the same observation and this is what I know. FR21 introduced new settings related to SLA but these can be set on global level alone and only via the CommCell console. This setting allows you to suppress the behavior for the backup copy.

I have already made complains that setting this on global level really doesn't make sense. Especially when you take into account public cloud. Example would be Amazon EC2 IntelliSnap in where the snapshots are offloaded by Amazon from the primary storage to S3 and where snapshots do not have a tight/direct relationship anymore with the source. There are many environments and cases in where this satisfies the requirements so in these situation you want to tick the checkbox. Now what if your CommCell spans Amazon and Azure, Amazon and VMware and what if you are a MSP? In all these cases you want to be able to set it on a plan level.

But maybe this setting helps solving your challenge ;-)

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Development said that this issue should be resolved in  FR/SP23.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

So that it mean that they will not create a backport of the fix to previous releases? Because it will take time for FR23 to mature and become GA and also you will most likely get something else for it in return.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Bart !  I’m chasing down the Form ID so we can all get the actual fix number per Feature Release.

Appreciate you updating us all!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

So that it mean that they will not create a backport of the fix to previous releases? Because it will take time for FR23 to mature and become GA and also you will most likely get something else for it in return.

They are checking for a backport. Will let you kno.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It’s resolved with diag 2302 for FR22, and should be part of FR23 already. After installing the fix, you won’t see the difference immediately, but you will see it after a while. (next backup most probably).

Case closed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Bart !  You are the best!