Solved

Windows 2003 VSA backup

• 25 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

We added 2 Windows 2003 VM’s yesterday to a VM subclient, which have not attempted to backup even though they are present and on the backup schedule.

Question: do I need to do an additional step to get my Windows 2003 VM’s to backup in Commvault version 11 .22.13 

icon

Best answer by gary mcneely 26 May 2021, 01:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello Gary,

You should be able to backup those VMs without any issues since the guest isn’t really involved during the backup process.  We backup the .vmdks on the hypervisor level. 

There’s a possibility the VMs maybe filtered on the backup set or the subclient level, that could also prevent those two VMs from being backed up even though they’re added.  You can check the preview button under content in the subclient, or check vsdiscovery on the VSA proxy coordinator node to see if we’re discovering the VMs and if they’re being filtered.

Lastly, the latest backup job, are the VMs actually present in the virtual machine status but just had failures?  Or are they missing from the list entirely?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

There are no filters, the clients are in the preview.

The clients have not failed they are just missing from the backup job list.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @gary mcneely ,

If they are not being filtered and they are present in preview, we should be backing up these VMs.  Further review of logging would most likely need to occur to see why they’re missing. 

The only other thing I can think of is if they’re already part of another subclient and being backed up already.  Are there any backup history listed under these two VMs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ensure to install VMware Tools on the guest VM so you can capture application-consistent backups. VMware tools engages with VSS on the guest to ensure the file system and application flush their data to disk before the snapshot is captured, so there are no surprises at restore time (although this is very rare).

I think you need an older version of VMware tools to be installed on the guest (10.0.12 as the last version to support 2003)

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

After all that turns out … layer 1 issue didn't look at my job controller, so the job is running still..

no soup for (me) you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Only that one VM to go :joy: