With a vcenter migration to a new vcenter what happens to the job history after the vm has been moved?

• 31 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

With a vcenter migration to a new vcenter what happens to the job history after the vm has been moved?   Let say perhaps there is a infinite retention set on job and the vm is moved to the new vcenter, does that job now need to be deleted?

Thanks

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @David Rossman , thanks for the post!  I moved this to its own thread so we can track it better.

My initial thought is that the older jobs will remain under vCenter 1, and the new ones under vCenter 2, and everything else will move on (with vCenter 2) and you won’t need to do anything else.

Let me consult with some colleagues internally and come back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Depends on which method you use: 

Migration Method

When deploying a new server or a VCSA, you have the following options:

• Migrate to an existing vCenter server.

If you migrate to an existing server, then all managed object references should be retained, along with custom attributes, notes, and tags.

• Perform a totally new deployment.

If you perform a side-by-side migration by deploying a new vCenter server and re-associating hosts to it, then you need to recreate any of the content types that are mapped to managed object references. You need to recreate those objects in vCenter because (unlike VMs and datastores) they are not auto created or registered when a host is connected to a new vCenter server.

Badge +1

@Mike Struening 

That is my hope.

Badge +1

@Aplynx 

Correct right out the documentation.  I have a requirement to change the IP address on the vcenter appliance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

The Vcenter is being replaced in one shot? Just update the vcenter properties in the VMware iDA (where you also set the user and the proxy(es)) and everything should pick up where it left off.

Proxy needs 443 on the vcenter and 902 on the ESX host(s).