Solved

back fail and vm not power on

• 7 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

vm server backup fail with the snap creation time and it shutdown the sever and cannot power on it back again.

please help for this.

Belowe error shows in commserver

Error Code: [91:30] Description: Unable to open the disks for virtual machine [SIEM]. Please ensure the following: 1) the proxy is able to communicate with the Host and resolve the Host address 2) the correct transport mode has been selected 3) the disk types configured to the virtual machine are supported. Source: com-v, Process: vsbkp 

Description: Unable to create a virtual machine snapshot of [SIEM]. [An error occurred while taking a snapshot: I/O error accessing change tracking file. Snapshot creation attempt took [00:00:33]] Please check the virtual machine snapshot tree. Source: com-v, Process: vsbkp 

icon

Best answer by Sunil Turakani 7 September 2022, 07:04

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi,

• Is the issue seen with one VM or multiple VMs in the environment?
  • Do check the VM configuration file (*.vmx) for the VM disks?
  • Type of disks - SCSI, ide,...?
  • Is the failure in VM snapshot or the hardware snapshot? if VM snapshot, what issue reported in vCenter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This looks like a locking I/O error on the VMware side - VMware would be in the best position to figure out what happened to this VM during snapshot and how it can be recovered.

This VMware KB article may be of help: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2009244

Just noting that Commvault sends commands to VMware to take and remove snapshots, it does not actually perform the snapshot (i.e the snapshot code is on the VMware side).