Solved

Commcell Virtualization to vmware

• 9 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi
I plan to migrate my commcell running on a standalone server 2012 to vmware.
my plan is to : 
1: Do a DR copy (in case of utter failure)
2: shutdown all commvault services and sql + set services to not auto start.
3: do the p2v migration, and shutdown physical machine.
4: boot up virtualized commcell, and set up ip to match original machine.
5: start commvault services (set to autostart)
that should work right?
my concerns are these : 
Performance. is there a tool to or something to help determine if the server can be virtualized without it taking to big of a performance hit ? 
fall back, if performance is determined to be to bad after some time, is the correct way to fall back to do a dr copy from the virtualized commcell, shut that instance down, and recover the dr copy to the original machine ? 

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 9 April 2021, 11:05

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Carsten 

Thank you for the question, in theory your plan sounds fine.

You will need provision similar or greater resources to the VM, matching network/firewall capabilities of the existing physical machine. Depending on the environment, you will need to make sure in particular the Commserve database volume has good disk performance, see the Hardware Specs, below.

Here are some details that will help with provisioning resources:

CommServer Server: System Requirements

CommCell Sizing Guide - CommServer Server: Hardware Specs

• This will provide guidance on CPU cores, RAM, disk provisioning for your CommServe, based on the size and contents of your environment.

As an alternative to P2V for the existing CommServe server, you may want to consider a CommServe Hardware refresh, to move from the existing Server 2012 machine to a new VM server running a later Windows Server OS and all the benefits that will provide.

CommServe Hardware Refresh Overview

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Carsten 

We do CommCell migrations/upgrades for our customers frequently. Best bet as @Stuart Painter said above, is to do a CommServe Hardware Refresh. - Build a new VM with similar (or preferably greater) resources and install Commvault pointing to the latest DR Set.

You can use this exercise to move the CommServe to a new OS (2016/2019) and in some cases a newer SQL Version (if you are running older SQL from prior versions).

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

P2V will work just keep the same hostname and IP if possible. If you do change the IP make sure to update DNS to point to the new IP.  But keep same client/hostname to make things run smoother.

Badge +1

Thanks all.
i got the input i was searching for. :)