Question

CV Lab Gateway is EoS

• 15 February 2023
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

I am trying to setup vlab for a customer, following documentation

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/33029_creating_restore_as_lab_policy_for_vmware.html

and looking for Lab Gateway ova I got to the image on store.commvualt.com

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/133/617/6118

which is very outdated to say at least - both OS and CV version this image is built on, are already EoS.

Is there anything newer I can use for gateway?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi,

I am trying to setup vlab for a customer, following documentation

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/33029_creating_restore_as_lab_policy_for_vmware.html

and looking for Lab Gateway ova I got to the image on store.commvualt.com

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/133/617/6118

which is very outdated to say at least - both OS and CV version this image is built on, are already EoS.

Is there anything newer I can use for gateway?

Hey Robert,

I am not aware of a newer version. You can deploy it and update it though like a regular client.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hey @Damian Andre 

Thanks. I get it, but since this is a potential customer at the moment and we are doing test drive, I really hoped for something better. I don’t mind updating CV agent, but as you know CentOS was a great choice for OS 3 years ago, but today it’s another story. In addition, shipping 3 years old image to customer production cluster in Zero Trust era is just wrong. Technically it’s doable, I know, and let’s say that security team will allow it, but still it’s a conversion that doesn’t make a great selling point. When you are looking for a new ride you want new and shiny and not old’n’rusty if you know what I mean 😉

Documentation itself hasn’t been updated for quite some time. Newest Windows OS supported for vlab according to documentation is Windows 2016 - this too doesn’t seem right. It feels like this feature is being buried under sands of time.

Can you tell if Windows 2019/2022 is supported for this?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

Does anyone know what’s the user/password for lab gateway is?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @Robert Horowski ,

I am currently checking with Development, I will get back to you.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi @Robert Horowski  @Sebastien Merluzzi 

we have not done any change in the Virtual lab gateway template since a while. we can recycle the gateway template image and update you here.  

To answer your Windows 19/22 support, we will get this updated in our documentation, we just need to verify this with gateway.  

Thanks

Prasanna Kumar

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Prasanna Kumar TR

we can recycle the gateway template image and update you here.  

That would be great, please let me know once new image would be available.

To answer your Windows 19/22 support, we will get this updated in our documentation, we just need to verify this with gateway.  

Please to let me know too.

Regards,

Robert

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Prasanna Kumar TR 

Any luck with recycled image and/or win19/22 support?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi Robert, sorry for the delayed response. we were occupied with other items, we will recycle the image sooner and update you. we are tracking this internally, we would need good testing coverage before we publish the newer version. currently available Image should be still working fine. let us know if there is any issue found.

Regarding Win 19/22 - updated to test team to try and update in the documentation, we will get back you in a week or so.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Prasanna Kumar TR 

Do you happen to have any news regarding this case?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Robert Horowski 
The gateway is prepared with latest version.
it is currently in final state of testing, like windows 2016, 2022 and rhel/ubuntu 8.
They willl update something by end of this week.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi @Robert Horowski  - we have updated the latest version of gateway template. https://store.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/133/617/6118

Its available for use. 

Also, we have verified Windows 2016, 2022, Rhel 8 works fine with virtual lab. we are still validating the ubuntu version, we will update the documentation shortly once everything is validated. 

Badge +5

@Prasanna Kumar TR I’ve just tried with this new gateway template, but when I try to deploy it I get an error saying that it’s not a supported template.

Has someone used this new template already?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

hi @ChrisK  it has been tested internally and uploaded the same to the store. 

i will get this checked the uploaded version internally and update back.

Badge +5

@Prasanna Kumar TR  any update already? I’ve tried downloading it again but get the same error. MD5 Checksum is correct, so it looks to me like there’s definitely an issue with the ova.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@ChrisK  - we checked this further, not sure why the previously uploaded file had an issue, we just reuploaded again the same file. we are able to download from store and verified, the latest uploaded file doesn’t have the issue. we are making sure the downloaded file from store is functional in virtual lab feature. we will update mostly EOD.

Badge +5

Thank you @Prasanna Kumar TR 
I’ve just tried it with the newly uploaded template and can confirm that it now works.