Solved

EC2 Backups Between AWS Accounts

• 12 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hello Community,

I have a MediaAgent/Access node in AWS account A. I want to backup EC2 instances in AWS accounts B and C. My AWS account A is supposed to have access to accounts B and C. 

Can I backup EC2 instance in other accounts?

It seems to be supported based on this page:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/107777_amazon_web_services_system_requirements.html

And if it is supported, are there any specific requirements. I could not find any information on the Commvault Documentation page. Or at least I didn’t find it.

Thanks so much for your help.

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 13 December 2022, 02:02

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Long time indeed. :-)

Yes, it does help greatly. But I have to admin that I read the title and got confused with Commvault tenants (companies) and all those things, so I skipped.

Tittle is definitely misleading and should be worded differently.

Thanks very much my friend!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@JPMill , after working with support, yes. You must create tenants/companies in the Command Center.

That is the only way as of now. I agree, they should find a much better way to address, but that is the way to go for now.

Badge

This should be doable. You should not need to create tenants in Command Center. I just tested this in our environment successfully. I have a Media Agent/VSA Proxy in AWS Account 1 and successfully backed up EC2 Instance in AWS Account 2. I used IAM Roles in the main account in which the Media Agent/VSA Proxy resides. I then used Assume Role permissions to access the other AWS accounts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Carl Brault,

Long time my friend :)

Yes, its absolutely supported. In the software I believe this feature is now called “Using resources from an admin account” - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/108958_using_resources_from_admin_account.html

Typical use case here is MSP using shared resources for tenants which is why its worded in this way. Does this meet your need?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Me again. ;-)

As I’m reading it, I notice that it requires to create companies and tenants in Commvault. Is it necessary? Is there a way to avoid creating companies to backup between AWS accounts? Not all customers are MSPs. And these steps may be confusing if they never used companies. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Me again. ;-)

As I’m reading it, I notice that it requires to create companies and tenants in Commvault. Is it necessary? Is there a way to avoid creating companies to backup between AWS accounts? Not all customers are MSPs. And these steps may be confusing if they never used companies. :-)

Thanks in advance.

I don't think its required - just part of this use case. Go ahead and configure it and see how you go - I think in this use case there are separate credentials, and the VSA will automatically pick the right ones to use. In your case since you think that your access has access to the other (sub?) accounts, it may work without any special configuration.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks much!

I’ll try and keep you posted on the results.

Have an excellent day.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi All,

we have a similar scenario.

If we deploy the CS onto one AWS Account and the MA/AN on another shared AWS Account, I guess in the “Using resources from an admin account” part of the wizard we should select the accout with VSa, correct ?

Many thanks

Francesco 

Badge

Hi , we dont use company here but we need to backup EC2 instances from different accounts. Is this the only way the achieve my goal ??

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Jue Vang that is great news! It seems like Commvault support were not able to. I will definitely try that in labs.

Thanks for the hint!