Solved

Getting Disk consolidation error & Unable to access file since it is locked Virtual disk file that is attached to virtual machine.

• 24 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

The virtual machine reports that it has virtual disks that need consolidation and this could not be performed automatically. In order to prevent a further buildup of delta disks and possible stability issues with the virtual machine, further backups of this virtual machine will not be performed until this condition is corrected.  Please check if there are any locks on the virtual disks or if the disks are still attached to a backup proxy. Unable to access file since it is locked Virtual disk file that is attached to virtual machine.

icon

Best answer by Christian Hansen 24 May 2021, 13:41

View original

4 replies

Badge

Hello @Braj85 ,

In most cases this is due to Hotadd locking the disks on the Proxy machine. Can you confirm if you are using Hotadd Transport Mode for your backups?

Transport Modes for VMware

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=32037.htm

If you are there are few things to check here: 

• -Within VMWare verify if there are any disks present on the Proxy machine(s) that do not belong to the Proxy VM
  • -Within the Guest OS check is automount is enabled
    • Open Command Prompt as Admin
    • Go into disk part with the “diskpart” command
    • Once diskpart loads type the command “automount”
    • If this is enabled ensure there are No VSA backup running
    • Run the “Automount disable” then “automount scub” commands
  • Check AV Exclusions on the Proxies(https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=8665.htm)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @Braj85 ,

Just seeing if you got a chance to take a look at the solutions provided by Chris_H and if there’s any updates on this thread?

Badge +1

Hi @Chris_H ,

Thanks for your swift reply.

In my environment transport mode is Hotadd. I have disabled the automount option as well. Av exclusions are also in place.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Braj85,

I’d also suggest the following:

Make sure the VSA Proxies and vCenter Appliance (If applicable) are not Snapshotted/Backed-up during the VM backup window. 

If using VMware 6.5 or higher, Ensure the VM VSA Proxies are using VMware’s Paravirtual SCSI Adapters.

Best Regards,

Michael