Question

HSX RA as VSA proxy for bothe Windows/Linux VM and FRE

• 25 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello,

We're going to soon deploy a HyperScale X Reference Architecture with 3 nodes.

I would like to know, since I didn't find anywhere else, if HSX can be the proxy/access host for my VSA based backups.

Can each node be a proxy?

Can it perform the File Recovery Enabler (Linux VM file restore) role? Can it perform Windows VMs file recovery?

My virtual environment is VMware vSphere 7.

Kind regards,

Pedro Rocha

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good afternoon.  I have reached out to our SMEs in this area and they have confirmed that the nodes can be used for VSA.  They also have stated that if you have VSA installed on the nodes, it can be used to browse VMs.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Good afternoon.  I have reached out to our SMEs in this area and they have confirmed that the nodes can be used for VSA.  They also have stated that if you have VSA installed on the nodes, it can be used to browse VMs.  

Thank you Orazan!

Can you help me with one more doubt?

Our VMware environment used FC SAN datastores. I believe that the best performance for backups is achieved using SAN transport mode. So the HSX nodes will have direct access to the storage SAN in order to copy data directly from the datastores.

I saw this on documentation: 

"For Linux proxies, you might need to rescan the SCSI or iSCSI bus after attaching devices.

For MediaAgents on the HyperScale 1.5 Appliance or HyperScale X Appliance, you can use the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to force a rescan."

Should we run this script every time there's a backup? Because I thought that the LUNs (representing the datastores) were mapped and unmapped to proxies during each backup operation. So the Linux MA (HSX node) has to rescan scsi bus every time. Is this correct? Shouldn't this be automatically implemented since the Appliance is kind of a "closed box"?

Regards,

Pedro

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Thank you Orazan!

Can you help me with one more doubt?

Our VMware environment used FC SAN datastores. I believe that the best performance for backups is achieved using SAN transport mode. So the HSX nodes will have direct access to the storage SAN in order to copy data directly from the datastores.

I saw this on documentation: 

"For Linux proxies, you might need to rescan the SCSI or iSCSI bus after attaching devices.

For MediaAgents on the HyperScale 1.5 Appliance or HyperScale X Appliance, you can use the rescan-scsi-bus.sh script to force a rescan."

Should we run this script every time there's a backup? Because I thought that the LUNs (representing the datastores) were mapped and unmapped to proxies during each backup operation. So the Linux MA (HSX node) has to rescan scsi bus every time. Is this correct? Shouldn't this be automatically implemented since the Appliance is kind of a "closed box"?

Regards,

Pedro

Hello @Orazan , can tou help me with this? Thanks.