Solved

Indexing backups on DFSR HyperV servers are taking hours

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We have network drives we backup on DFSR servers on Hyper-V servers, up until recently we could index the backups and pick files for restores.  This is now either timing out after many hours or we get the following error

“Browse failed due to error while mounting virtual machine: Failed to mount VM for live browse”

This is becoming a real issue for us because if we cant browse these files and folders then we have no way of restoring files for users, and as such our data protection is at serious risk

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 28 July 2022, 18:21

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @TonyQ , thanks for the post!

Quick question:

Is the backup sitting on tape?  If so,  you cannot do live browse restoring guest files.

In this case, you have two options:

1. Aux copy back to disk so you can do live browse.
  2. Instead of file level restore, do disk restore (restore vmdk) and then attach it to a VM so you can copy the files required. It can be the fastest way.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

No these are not on tape.  These backups sit on our Media Agents and are less than 14 days old.  We have never had to copy the vhd files to a fresh VM and do it that way.  Its always been index browsing thats worked for us.

thanks

TonyQ

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the quick reply.  Let me get some other folks on this thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Heard back from one of our top guys.  He has nothing to suggest immediately other than to open a support case.

Can you share the incident number so I can track and follow up?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @TonyQ , following up on this old thread.  Were you able to get a case opened or resolve the issue?  I looked for anything in your name and came up blank.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Can you remember what changes you made to the environment between the last time it worked and the moment where you discovered that you are encountering those issues. Which version are you running? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@TonyQ , following up to see if you resolved this one.

I don’t see any case in your name so hoping you have good news.